Barthmobile Portal
Exporting Vehicles to Canada by non-US persons

This topic can be found at:

06-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Doug Smiley
Exporting Vehicles to Canada by non-US persons

Are you exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada?
Did you know that you are now required to file
export information on your vehicle to the Automated Export System (AES)?

Wait! I thought most shipments to Canada were exempt from filing?

It all started March 14, 2013, when we published a new requirement that you must file used self-propelled vehicles in the AES 72 hours prior to export, no matter the value or country of ultimate destination (including Canada). This requirement went into effect April 5, 2014.

Note: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) considers a vehicle to be “used” if the legal title of the vehicle is transferred by the manufacturer, distributor or dealership to the purchaser of the vehicle.

Ok… So what am I required to do?

Non U.S. Residents or Foreign Companies ONLY

Foreign persons visiting the U.S. cannot register to file through AES or AESDirect.

Therefore, non-U.S. residents must:

Select and authorize a U.S. agent
(i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.)
to file export information to the AES on your behalf
Provide the U.S. agent with your foreign passport number (instead of an EIN)
and other mandatory data elements
Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

To find a U.S. agent or freight forwarder, simply use an internet search engine to locate one.

If you have questions regarding the new requirement,
please contact the Regulations, Outreach, and Education Branch at 1-800-549-0595, option #3 or e-mail

AND see this:


The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!