Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Watch those overhangs
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Dalton
posted
Talk about spoiling your day, not to mention your truck and trailer.

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/curtass/?actio...current=camera21.flv

Posts: 61 | Location: Calgary AB | Member Since: 04-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I probably will be all alone on this one, but a nice modern service station, which this appears to be, should have at least 13'7", giving an inch above legal limit. Obviously this structure wasn't even close, and unless it was WELL marked as being below legal limit, the owner of the station should be held liable for all damages, material and physical. OK, let me have it!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I probably will be all alone on this one... OK, let me have it!
Guess what? I think you're right Danny! Wink

You probably are going to be alone on this one!!! ROTFLMAO

Personal responsibility has vanished in America. While some things cry out for blame, this one does not. He should point the finger at himself.

He is the operator - he should know what he can fit into and what he can not fit into.

It looks to me like this is a bank parking lot and the item we see in the photo is one of those vacuum tubes. I have yet to see a bank teller window that was set up for a big rig or high top camper pulling into it's window.

I blame our laws that allow anyone with a pulse to drive a 45' - airbrake equipped - widebody - 13'6" tall - diesel pusher down the road. Heck, if you have 1.3 million, you too can flip an RV onto it's side.

2007 Newell Coach

That being said, I hope he is alright. You can see where the roof collapsed into the cab of his truck.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I found it. The 2008 Dodge Truck was pulling a new 5th wheel camper.

Here is the news story from Shelby County Texas:

At approximately 3 PM, Tuesday, July 2, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, pulling a new travel trailer, hit the corner of the Texas State Bank Drive-In
on Tenaha Street, causing the complete awning to come to the ground.

Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller, of Garrison and his 10 year old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured. According to Miller he was circling the bank to park on the other side when the corner of his travel trailer caught the corner of the bank awning. Next thing he heard was a rumble as the awning started falling against his driver's side door. Somehow he was able to unbuckle the seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling.

Mark Ivy of Texas State Bank stated that the main lobby would be open for business while the drive-in is being repaired.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much money he had in Texas State Bank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My humble apologies! D'oh I didn't notice that this was a bank and not a service station. Most all banks I use have lower drive throughs and are clearly marked as such. I accept my 50 noodles!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dalton
posted Hide Post
A word play on this, If you can't Dodge it , Ram it.

Posts: 61 | Location: Calgary AB | Member Since: 04-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Actually - this overhang is no longer a concern for those wanting to bank there Big Grin

Overhead clearance can be dicey - I was in PA on a US hwy; I figured a straight shot to the freeway. Nope! Came upon a RR underpass with 10'6" clearance, so I got to detour 15 miles to find a grade-level crossing so's StaRV II's 12' would fit...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Recently a tour bus, or school bus, (can't remember which) following a "shortest route" programed by his GPS, put it about 1/3 of the way through an overpass in a Seattle park. Unfortunately the overpass was about a foot lower than the bus was tall.

Suggests we need a land-based version of the old marine maxim that goes, "If the depth of your keel exceeds the depth of the water, you are most assuredly aground."

You got to watch the road, not just the little screen.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suggests we need a land-based version of the old marine maxim that goes, "If the depth of your keel exceeds the depth of the water, you are most assuredly aground."

Lindsay's Law. Having had boats for many years (not to mention my time in the Navy), one needs to heed....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I wonder how much money he had in Texas State Bank.
I would like to know... who gave him the loan for that new camper and Dodge truck? ROTFLMAO

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
More

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Dalton
posted Hide Post
Rusty those pics show how BIG that roof really was. Good to know that every one involved was alright.