Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Wings over Big South Fork Air show Sept 8, 2012
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wings over Big South Fork Air show Sept 8, 2012
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted
www.wingsoverbigsouthfork.com

Air and car show at Scott County Municipal airport in Oneida Tn
Sept 8, 2012, gates open at 8am, bring your chairs, rain or shine - and the best: FREE
Stunt planes, warbirds, fighter jets, classic cars, food and arts, airplane rides and bluegrass.
This is a very nice airshow and the best it is free.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
I tried to attach a picture from last year but cannot get it out of the photobucket. Image117, the Jag and DC3. Someone help.

(OK - Rusty)

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
DC3.

Did they exist in 1953?(DC) I hitchiked in one (or a reative)from Colorado Springs to Newburg, N.Y. in 1953.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a few hours in an R4D-4 - a Super Gooney - from '65. There are many Goons still flying.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DC3 ... updated C47??

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Dick - that plane might be older than you. They were made from 1936-1942, about 607 for civilian use and 10,000 for the military use as C47 Skytrain. You probably were on one in 53. Superman

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
DC3 ... updated C47??

It was the other way around. The DC3 started out as an airliner (descended from the DC2 airliner), and was slightly modified to become the C47 and R4D.

There was a Super DC3 that was easily identified by the DC6 style vertical stabilizer, which was more squared off and had a much larger dorsal fin. The fuselage was also longer, but the extra length was more noticeable in the back than the front. It also had wet wings and MLG doors that partially covered the wheels to make it more streamlined, a retractable tailwheel and more powerful engines (the Wrights were more powerful, but shorter life). And a lot of little streamlining details to make it faster and more fuel-efficient. There weren't a lot of them. I used to work on one owned by the Hilton Hotel chain. Believe it or not, it had JATO bottles to get out of small airstrips in Mexico.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The later R4D models had upgraded engines (1600-2000 HP vs. stock 1200).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough; the only two flights on military aircraft that I experienced were the AirForce C47 to Newburgh and a 14 hour flight from Barber's Point to San Francisco (probably more like Alemeda) on the Coast Guard's equal of a DC6

posted Hide Post
quote:
Dick - that plane might be older than you. They were made from 1936-1942

Doris or Marvin; We met briefly at a Florida GTG maybe too briefly, I've got 5 years on the first one made.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The later R4D models had upgraded engines (1600-2000 HP vs. stock 1200).

Wow! That thing must have really hauled.

What engines were those?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post