Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Do I really want to?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Do I really want to?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted
Paint my interior. My Barth is very small and dark inside and I think I would like to paint the inside white which would make it look larger. I probably will never sell this Barth so re-sell is not a consideration. I saw a picture of one on here that was painted white inside and thought it really looked bright and larger.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If your walls are Luan, the grain that shows through the paint might not be to your liking. Have you thought about wallpaper? Vinyl wallpaper is pretty easy to clean, too. We like ours.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Not only did I paint my walls, but I also used a lighter color paneling with dark wood trim to define the break between both pieces.

It took several coats of paint before it looked good. Honestly though, it was so ugly looking before that it only had one way to go.

The half sheet of paneling with the dark wood stain broke up the middle and really made it look nice.

I would agree with "bill h", if you can do wall paper it might look better and should clean up easier. If you do go with paint, use a commercial grade flat paint.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have luan everywhere except the bathroom and dark cabinets in the kitchen, my dinette, two single beds, driver and passenger chairs and the cushion for the overhead bunk has been re-covered in blue and cream plaid with cream colored curtains. I might be better off with a light cream color than white, but I think anything would help brighten up the inside.

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
I might be better off with a light cream color than white.

Or something between cream and white. Like off-white, Navajo white, of other names. I never like white on walls, but find an off white or such to be much warmer, particularly at night. We have candles in glass wall sconces, as well as tea lights about, and the colors really work together. Some of our light bulbs are low wattage, and cast a more golden light, so the warmer whites compliment them, too.

Much of what I say is colored (Oops...pun alert!) by our dry camping battery conservation, but even if you are always plugged in and have bright lights, the warmer white could be less stark than white.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I think the off-white is the way to go and will become my cool weather project. Big Grin Oh yeah, did I mention that I love my Barth. You can go to the Barth's sold and look up Tiffis Mom-I bought her about a year ago. Some day I will learn how to do a link Wink

Mary

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Mary, look up my ad for the '90 Barth Regal in "Barth's for sale" for an idea of what off-white vinyl wallpaper looks like. You will note one disadvantage - there is some bubbling on the edge of the bathroom door, in the bedroom.

[edit: 10/8/07 - 9:11am Bill N.Y. add link to sale and picture link]

90 Regal

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Bill N Y

I want to do something to my walls. I see that you completely removed all cabinets and appliances from inside for your project.

I do not have te wherewithall (i.e. strength) to remove cabinets and appliances.

Based o your project experience, would it be possible/practical to paper just the visible portion of the walls, or better yet, cut, remove and replace just the visible portion of the wall board and replace it while leaving cabinets etc. in place?

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Most everything was removed because it was destroyed. I left 3 cabinets in place. The bathroom cabinet, the living room closet and the back bedroom overhead cabinet.

I taped these items off, wall spackel and painted. After several coats I couldn't see the dark pink behind it.

I used a full lenght of panelling for the closet. 1" stained fence lattice ("Ruler Stock") between each section covered up every joint. I trimmed were each section butted up against another piece or where there was a corner.

This is the 1" lattice. It is held on with finishing nails - I didn't even remove the inside corner pieces of the old molding. Look closely and you'll see the inside angle. The same trim around the countertop is what is on the inside corners.

With the way I did it, each section of wall had a piece of trim along the wall to ceiling. 1 x 2 strips of wood was used along the ceiling to wall. Look back at the picture a few posts above and you'll see what I mean.

It really depends on the layout of your coach. I looked at different materials and made several drawing, I measured many times and tried out different things until I got the look that I wanted.

With the right amount of trim, anything is possible with leaving cabinets in place.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Having been up the river & over the mountain on several home/boat/RV refinishing projects, I'd say papering walls without removing cabinets would be eminently possible & capable of turning out a good job, but tedious from all the patterning, cutting & fitting. I, personally, would not try to replace paneling that way. It would be harder to match the seams. With wallpaper, you lay it up, & trim where you want to. Paneling requires a precise pre-fit, & there might not be anything to back up the new panel where you cut.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
any suggestion of type of wall paper? Is there one style/type that is best for the environment and wear/tear, such as shoe-kicks in the tight quarters of bed room and under desks, etc? (I have done only light weight house wall papering)

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
quote:
|

when i bought my barth it was papered (bought 10 days ago and 1300miles ago)they put adhesive on the back ...and it is doing well thry said that they did the paper app. 2 years ago id go to a wallpaper outlet and they should give the best advice and buy hte best you can get it proabally wont take a full roll or two. also clean the surface extremely well... good luck

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post