Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    I'm Dreaming of a White...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I'm Dreaming of a White...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Christmas!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bump

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Rusty: Betty would like to know if you were in the shower when you recorded "christmas". You sound fantastic.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I think one of the great ironies of this song is that Irving Berlin was jewish.

This is not meant to be anti-semetic, just interesting trivia.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
Rusty: Betty would like to know if you were in the shower when you recorded "christmas". You sound fantastic.......

Cool

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:

Actually, so much of Tin Pan Alley was populated by Jewish writers that it is no wonder that a composer of Berlin's stature wrote a classic.

The most-played Christmas song of all time, The Christmas Song, was co-written by Robert Wells, a Jew.

Side note..........I used to park my airplane near Mel Tormé's, and we became friends. He once mused that he had spent his whole life working hard, singing, teaching, flying to Vegas every weekend, etc, and one hour's work produced more income than the rest of his career put together.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Mel Torme' is still my all-time favorite male vocalist. It began with The Christmas Song as I awaited shipment overseas, Christmas 1946. Then I saw him in a long-forgotten movie in an open-air GI theater in Tokyo, the summer of 1947. Never had any of his LPs, but I've downloaded a number of his recordings from I-tunes.

The outdoor theater was right next to an open-air GI beer hall so you could go to the beer hall & get crocked before the movie started. It didn't work the other way, though, the beer hall was closed by the time the movie was finished. Those were both strictly summer time operations.

I've forgotten what they called that open-air theater, though I remember the Ernie Pyle Theater, Hibiya Hall, & Army Hall, three Japanese theaters that had been taken over by the US Army. I have memories of specific movies I viewed in each one of them.

Tokyo also had the Royal Australian Army Beer Hall. Now there was a beer hall. None of that U.S 3.2 near beer. I witnessed some marvelous physical disagreements in that place.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Mel Torme' is still my all-time favorite male vocalist.

Yeah, he is a favorite, here, too.

Funny thing is, I really don't like his voice, but he wrote the book on style. I remember a Christmas program on TV that featured him and several other notables. Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and another I don't remember. His solo numbers blew the others out of the water. Game over. They might as well have gone home. I think we have it on tape somewhere.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Perry Como was mine. Very smooth and Italian, just like me. He was a barber and I was a steelmaker.
BTW, thanks to Bill, we have a White Christmas every time we go on this great site. You can be in Alaska or Florida, but here it's snow, snow, snow Smiler

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Perry Como was mine. Very smooth and Italian, just like me. He was a barber and I was a steelmaker.

Actually, a lot of the popular (standard) singers of the late '40s and '50s were Italian. Italians seem to have a thing about singing. Smiler

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I can't open "Christmas" offered by Rusty, is it the Drifters singing White Christmas?

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Heck no, it's Rusty,Maggie and Casey cheers

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
And Norman on the falsetto

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:

A little more information on the same subject.

Link to article in yesterday's El Lay Times re: Jewish songwriters and musicians and Christmas music.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bump

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke