Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

On the road internet/cellphone
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted
I want to use my computer on the road. Not necessary to use it everyday, but that would be good. I know I can use the cellphone to connect with Verison or ATT. I also know I can use wifi spots when I can find them.

Since I will only be in the States for 4 months and then gone for 8 months I can not get the normal Cellphone plan as it is a contract for a year or more and why pay for 8 months of non use.

I generally buy a pay as you go phone for $30 and buy minutes and then toss the phone or give it away at the end. Once I brought my phone and bought a sim card. That cost $50 vs buying a phone with sim card for $30. I am not sure these cheap phones can do data transfer.

Same question may also apply for the Sat TV, can I subscribe for 4 months?

Any thoughts or comments.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, neither DirecTV nor Dish offers plans for less than 12 months. However, DirecTV does offer coverage in the Far East, and adding a receiver for the coach is $10/mo, regardless of the package.

Data transfer can be done with some cheap phones (I keep my antiquated Nokia because it gets reception where the Blingphones don't). The issue on mine was that the adaptor cost twice the phone's cost, so I didn't get it; I don't know about the others' connections with a cell phone. However, using my cell phone, data transfer rates were at dialup speeds, another reason I skipped the option.

With wi-fi being offered at more and more locations (like Starbucks and McDonalds), I'm not sure a cell phone vendor's arrangement is the way to go, whether through the phone or a separate card. If you go with a separate card (which connects to the laptop directly), Sprint seems to be the best. The SIM card may be most convenient with use-and-toss phones.

One thing I DO recommend is a corded USB wi-fi adaptor/antenna, because the metal shell of a Barth can shadow the wi-fi. However, I've found in many places, the laptop's internal antenna is plenty.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
AFAIK?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
AFAIK?

And For All I Know
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, it's "As Far As I Know"....

But Nick's is certainly Close Enough...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post