Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fine Aviation Writing
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Those of you who enjoy airplanes and fine historical writing might enjoy this.

Those of you with a little German or Luscombe exposure will have an advantage.

A little-known bit of aviation history

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Interesting - strange, but interesting!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
IRT German aircraft we attended the Wings Over Houston airshow this weekend which feature the Blue Angels and reenactments of WWII and Vietnam aircraft engagements. It was surprising to see a real Mitsubishi Zero and the announcer introducing the world premier of the Messerschmidt 262 jet powered twin engine fighter. That thing flys at 560 knots and is quite the show. If you get to see such a show near you do it!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
Rusty - here is one you will appreciate! Here

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's at least the 2nd landing like that - on the first (a few years ago), they put a makeshift table out. It looks like they refined the piece.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The early Cessna 210s could have used something like that.

Well, with wheels, I guess.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I had a 1961 210A and put 1800 hour on it, Yes Bill it could have used bigger wheels. It was really a modified 182 at its introduction. GREAT flying aircraft and was fast for it's time!

It is still alive in Alaska although it is not a good aircraft for Alaska flying.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I was sorely vexed by the hydraulics and landing gear on that plane. For example, that hydraulic module in the center of the panel was an expensive nightmare. A lousy two-bit O ring drip could cost a small fortune, because the whole thing had to be exchanged for a "remanufactured" one.

But, very nice flying.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Yes Bill it could have used bigger wheels.

But, tundra tires would not have fit in the wheel wells.

quote:
It is not a good aircraft for Alaska flying.

A 170B with tundra tires and the crosswind gear would do the job. In the hands of a good pilot, it could humble a Super Cruiser or almost anything short of a Helio. Better than an L19, even.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
L-19 is pretty good in the rough - it had a 210 hp Continental, while the 170B had the 145 HP.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
L-19 is pretty good in the rough - it had a 210 hp Continental, while the 170B had the 145 HP.

A great plane, in every way. I worked on them in the Army, and saw some really great piloting. I sorta think L-19 and Herky Bird pilots were the best.

An L-19 with crosswind gear and tundra tires would really be something. I would imagine the O 470 would allow a shorter take off run than the 170B, even though the 170B is lighter. Can't carry much in an L-19, though.