Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Movie Review: "District 9" and "The Time Traveler's Wife"
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Movie Review: "District 9" and "The Time Traveler's Wife"
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Let me start by saying... I am not a movie critic, nor do I play one on the web. That being said, I am also not a webmaster, website builder, moderator nor into literary linguistics.

I am a small business owner who works on Tractor Trailer Trucks and I dabble on the web. But, I also like to expand my horizons and post comments on different subjects.

For that, fellow Barth site members and guest, you get to suffer through my 2 movie reviews. Big Grin

~ District 9

Summary:
Thirty years ago, aliens made first contact with Earth. Humans waited for the hostile attack, or the giant advances in technology. Neither came. Instead, the aliens were refugees, the last survivors of their home world. The creatures were set up in a makeshift home in South Africa's District 9 as the world's nations argued over what to do with them. Now, patience over the alien situation has run out. Control over the aliens has been contracted out to Multi-National United (MNU), a private company uninterested in the aliens' welfare -- they will receive tremendous profits if they can make the aliens' awesome weaponry work. So far, they have failed; activation of the weaponry requires alien DNA. The tension between the aliens and the humans comes to a head when an MNU field operative, Wikus van der Merwe, contracts a mysterious virus that begins changing his DNA. Wikus quickly becomes the most hunted man in the world, as well as the most valuable -- he is the key to unlocking the secrets of alien technology. Ostracized and friendless, there is only one place left for him to hide: District 9.

"My thoughts FWIW: Save your money. This is 2 hours of your life you will never get back." As I was leaving, this same sentiment was echoed by several other moviegoers. head bang head bang head bang Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

~ The Time Traveler's Wife

Summary:
Clare has been in love with Henry her entire life. She believes they are destined to be together, even though she never knows when they will be separated: Henry is a time traveler--cursed with a rare genetic anomaly that causes him to live his life on a shifting timeline, skipping back and forth through his lifespan with no control. Despite the fact that Henry's travels force them apart with no warning, Clare desperately tries to build a life with her one true love.

My thoughts FWIW: "Well worth the time and money to see. Others in the theater seemed pleased too. I would recommend this as a good 'chick flick' that has something for the Sci-Fi crowd too." The movie theater was about equally represented as it seemed to be mostly couples. There were a couple of 'Girl Groupings' in the crowd. No kids were present. I seem to have been the only one who went 'Stag'. Smiler Smiler Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
We had planned to see D 9 last night but decided to save it for this coming Friday. I had picked this movie because it had a user rating of 8.9 out of 10, quite a bit higher than most movies. Now I'm curious who is rating the movie. Since you've seen it, who is the targeted audience?

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
...user rating of 8.9 out of 10, quite a bit higher than most movies. Now I'm curious who is rating the movie. Since you've seen it, who is the targeted audience?
The targeted audience is better suited for a D-Minus Rated Zombie Killer Movie fan base. Big Grin

That being said, we all have our own tastes in movie viewing... Just let me give you a little bit of advice if you still want to see it: Have a "Plan B" and Movie Hop to a better one that starts within 45 minutes. Buy your tickets for "The Other Movie" as I would hate to think you would give "The Ratings and Box Office Take" to a crappy movie while nothing goes to the better one.

It's a tired old plot that you figure out within 2 seconds of seeing the trailer. It was produced with "no name actors". The Director used a technique best described as a 'poor attempt to mimic the "Blair Witch Cinematography" without a plot'.

If you enjoy straining to hear a mumbled accent that is a cross version of an "Americanized-British-South African Accent"... Well then... This movie is for you! For myself? "It wasn't me' cup O' tea, mate."

I did witness several people get up and leave at about 45 minutes... that seems to be the breaking point with some. They left in groups so it wasn't a bathroom break as no one came back. If I had to do it over again, I would have left then too. But then again, using those parameters, I wouldn't go in the first place.

The budget for this film was 30 million. With that kind of expense, it will make money and be wildly profitable.

Director: Neill Blomkamp wiki
Neill Blomkamp is a South African born, Vancouver, BC-based director of feature-length and short films and advertisements. Blomkamp employs a documentary-style, hand-held, cinéma vérité technique, blending seamlessly with naturalistic and photo-realistic computer-generated effects. He directed a series of three short films set in the Halo universe (known collectively as Landfall) and in 2008 he won the Cannes Lions 2008 – Film Lions Grand Prix for the HALO "combat" web commercial.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
The Blair Witch Project was kind of a neat idea for about ten minutes and then became annoying, at least to me. I can't remember the name but, there was another movie that mimic'd Blair Witch and, even though it was more high tech, it was a real stinker as well. I have no intention of seeing another movie like that. Thanks for saving us from throwing money away.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
...there was another movie that mimic'd Blair Witch...

Probably the Blair Bitch Project, featuring of course, Linda Blair.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I got an autographed poster, of The Exorcist, signed by Linda Blair and now realize it will never see the light of day in this house. It is a major understatement if I said it upset my wife by bringing it into the house.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Imagine how she'd like it if it were a later poster; Blair as she matured never looked, er, "undernourished".

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post