Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fire suppression
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Being relatively new to the care and feeding of a MCC motor coach....
so which Barth type coachs have onboard fire suppression?
Also what type or brand, automatic or manual?

Anybody have a personal experience and/or recommendation in regards to fire suppression?
Or???

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If your coach is gasoline powered several cheap additions you might consider two switches: An inertia switch senses impact and is typically mounted to the frame. If an impact greateer than 5g's occurs itngrounds out the distributor and the engine stops. Another switch is inline with the oil pressure sender and when the pressure drops to about zero it opens the ground to your electric fuel pump, thus also killing the engine. Both can prevent fuel from feeding the engine.If you have a diesel, fire is unlikely anyway except from a separate gas powered generator or propane. A number of sensor linked switches can be installed to handle those as well.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If you have a Chev P3x with electric tank pumps (early 80's on,) there should already be an oil pressure switch in the fuel pump relay circuit. G-switch for ignition might be good.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My Barth came from the factory with an electric pump right above the tank but no oil pressure switch or relay. Direct wire to the ignition switch, I think. If there is a relay, it is really hidden.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I guess it was 85 on! The relay is on the left forward side of the engine compartment next to the AC pump if you have one.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it was 85 on! The relay is on the left forward side of the engine compartment next to the AC pump if you have one.

Do you have a wire diagram of this circuit. I have not traced my wires to see where power to the pump is comming from. My 86 factory manual show nothing on tank mounted electric pumps.
A few years ago, I replaced the regulator. New one came with 2 outlets. I now have a line that runs to the rear of coach that I use for filling gas cans for preasure washer, pit bikes, and lawn mowers.
This line also give me a port to measure fuel pressure from tank pump.
The oil pressure switch make sense. The only way to get fuel is to have engine running. I might try to wire in a momentary switch in my rear storage compartment with a master off switch so I don't have to run the engine.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post