Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Neat photos......
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Neat photos......
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
...in new book coming out this month about "mobile mansions", including a Barth blurb and an attaboy for Dave.....Go to:

http://www.keisterphoto.com/mobilemansions/detail.np/detail-26.html

Click on the book cover to access about 75 pics of unique motorhomes.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Here's a primer for all...

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like some interesting rigs in that book, like the Rectrans "including a “Thermosan,” an ingenious sewage disposal system that pumped raw sewage through the exhaust system and incinerated it." wouldn't want to be following that thing down the road...
Glad to see they gave Dave recognition for this website, thanks Dave, it really is a great site.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1977 24' 440 Dodge on propane with propane fired hot tub

Posts: 23 | Location: Nanaimo, BC, Canada | Member Since: 02-03-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thermosan? There is one in our '72 Barth 22 Limited... one of the many things yet to explore and discover if it is functional or not...
when I first read the product literature I had to laugh...and laugh and laugh. What a hot idea! (pun intended)

One really nice thing that came with ours are two original binders. One is full of product literature on each component such as heater, refrigerator, thermosan, water filter, etc. the other has the Barth guarantee and little Barth folder, plus meticulous records from the second owners who got it when it was about 10 and left it to their son when they died. It provides an interesting slice of American history, including price and amount of gasoline each fill-up for over 10 years!

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I talked to this guy a few times. I really respect folks that go to the trouble of archiving this great info. With the owners approval I passed on to him a few higher quality images I had of the vintage Barths from the early '70's. He was especially interested in the coaches with the bustle.

By the way, is it only me, but it seem wierd to call something vintage from the 1970's. I got out of the Army in 1970. It would seem to me that anything vintage would be like 1909. The year Olroy graduated from high school. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
is it only me, but it seem wierd to call something vintage from the 1970's.
It's a relative term Dave. For me the 70's is vintage seeing that I (barely) got out of High School in 84. Wink

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Dave, I only look like I graduated from high school in 1909. Actually. I wasn't even out of diapers then.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geoffrey:
Thermosan? when I first read the product literature I had to laugh...and laugh and laugh. What a hot idea! (pun intended)

Actually, Thermasan was advertised to meet all vehicle safety codes, and was made by Thetford, who were and are very experienced in RV waste management. Many high end motor homes and trailers had it. They made several different models, and even a Thermasan II, that was really neat. They shut down that division in 1980 due to reduced demand for RVs in general. All the people at Thetford who knew anything about the system are gone. The odor of an operating system was supposedly like popcorn, but I don't know who sniffed, as it only operated at over 30 mph. One of their model designations was BLT, so one wonders what it smelled like.Smiler

For the curious, I have copies of the original manuals.

There are house toilets that incinerate waste and produce zero pollution, so the principle is sound. The heat of the exhaust destroyed any bacteria. I squirted my gray water into the generator exhaust on my last RV, and the present owner says it still works fine. I haven't put such a system on my Barth, because we are solar and almost never run the genset, so burning gasoline to get rid of water doesn't make economic sense.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill H, I just bought a 1977 27' Regal with
a Thermosan system on it. I didn't realize
that it had one, until at this weekend's rally
when I started looking for the waste gate, before I went to the dumping station and found
that I didn't have one. I don't have any
literature on the Thermosan, so I'll take you
up on a copy of the literature.

Too old too soon, too late too smart!!

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post