Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Any Ooma folks out there?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Any Ooma folks out there?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
My area has been blitzed w/ Ooma promotions (www.ooma.com). Anybody here tried it?
Sidebar: Would it work w/ a computer tied to 'net with an aircard?

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My son the computer geek (built his first one from scratch 25 years ago, or more in the days of MS-Dos - any of you remember that?) has used Ooma for several months & swears by it. His Chinese wife spends a lot of time on the phone with her family in China, & it's saving him from bankruptcy. He's trying to convince me to go for it too, but at the moment I'm not ready to put up with the changeover hassle. You can keep your current phone number, but you have to get a temporary number from Ooma, and it takes several weeks for them to switch you over. Don't ask me why, ask Ooma.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Oh............Ooma.

I thought it said Obama, and this was going to get political. Smiler

We are so happy with Pioneer Telephone that we don't look at the offers.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I have VONAGE, similar service. $24.99 per month, any where in the world, any time of the clock. No paper billing must be billed on a credit card. Been hooked up 11 months and so far have had no problems......................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Ya might want to give Ooma a look-see Carl....According to their site, it's $250.00 for the software/hardware up front and no recurring costs after that....Measured against Vonage, that's only a 10 month payback period.......

My thinking is, with my Verizon datacard ($60/mo for 5GB) and my Cradlepoint router in the Barth, I could eliminate my cellphone plan by running Ooma's VOIP thru the datacard. Heck, I could eliminate the FIOS internet and hardline phone costs at the house too, giving me internet and phone in both stix & brix and the Barth for about
two bucks a day....not a bad deal......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
ooma,vonage,verizon,datacard,cradlepoint,router,stix,brix,fios,hardline,----I am clearly on a different planet where some of the common words are string, wax, can, ear, hand.
Guess Who?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how OOMA compares to SKYPE? I understand that SKYPE is totally free ... NO upfront cost and no monthly charges.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
There is some sort of pitchman huckstering "the little black box" on local TV. What they do not tell you is you still need highspeed service.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post