Too funny
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
Listed on CL in Phoenix

here
quote:
Showroom Fresh! 117 Original Miles! That's right, my dad, 80 years young, bought it a few months ago to ride around Bisbee, AZ. Now he's decided to Travel in a Barth Motorhome. So if you have one that's 25 foot or less and would like to trade give me a call.. This is the last 2010 NEW V-STAR .SILVERADO left in the State when he purchased it in July 2011. So if you want a pristine garage kept rarely used V-SYAR.... THIS IS IT! Hurry Won't Last. I start it once or twice a week and take it around the block. Clean Car Fax, No Accidents, CLEAR TITLE! $7,500 OBO or trade for Barth or similiar Quality motorhome. Call Fred a call at ---.---.----

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
"I start it once or twice a week and take it around the block. "

I wonder if he realizes he is doing more harm than good.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
One thing for darn sure, his dad will be a lot safer. Tanks are tougher than motorcycles.
Hum

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanks are tougher than motorcycles

However, the TANKS ARE TOUGH on motorcycles. My first motorcycle accident was head-in into a military Jeep that was trying to make a left turn across my path. My little Yamaha 180cc had a rather boxy gas tank -- high in the back. It stopped the forward momentum of my body. Afterward, the back of the tank was pushed-in, along with the front wheel being crumpled onto the front of the engine. I was ... well, still not the same Frowner

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Yeah, motorcycles are a great way to get "hands on" experience with the poor driving skills around us.

I didn't have to dodge any tanks but the lady who ran the stop sign with her station wagon gave me a thrill... I jumped up off the bike (about 25 mph) and went clean over the hood of the car, tumbled in someone's front yard and walked away. Bike went down... she never saw me till the bike went down and thought I was still on it.

A few years ago, after about 30,000 miles I mostly stopped riding cycles. Too stressful on the road.
I feel safer in my airplane! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
It seems like anyone thats ever been on a motorcycle for any length of time will experience a "crash" or serious learning adventure with or without injuries.
I rode them since I was about 15 and was also a motorcycle officer at one time (fun job but dangerous). I never had any problems on or off duty with driving them.
About 20+ years ago Barb and I took a trip on our
"bike" from Fl to NC and back. Really enjoyed cruising the Cherokee hills.
About a month after we were back, we decided to go the Ft Myers for some BBQ and jumped on the "bike" and made it about 3 miles from home when some guy made a left onto the highway doing a burn out and rammed us in the rear end.
The "bike" catapulted 200 feet down the hwy. bouncing from side to side. The "bike" was a total loss. I was able to get up and walk away with a knee and shoulder injury, road rash, a cut above my eye.
Barb was thrown off at impact and did two back ward flips. The first one, she slid one the top of her helmet which came off. She covered her head with her arms in the second flip and slid on them for a short distance. Enough to lose a lot of skin. She was off work for about 4 weeks and I was off for about six weeks.
So I'll second what Steve said....we are a lot safer in the airplane.
We both miss the "bike" but it's not worth it. Just too many unsafe drivers out there and now with everyone on cell phones ...it like their all drunk drivers.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
sounded like a HORRIBLE accident, Jim. I was getting really worried till I got to where it seems you and Barb recovered.
There are essentially only two (albeit sometimes one-in-the-same) groups of motorcyclists:
(1) Those who have crashed.
(2) Those who are going to crash.

My two low-sides were my fault. The aforementioned sudden introduction to a Ford Jeep was not. Now that I have demoted myself to a 250cc scooter, I still ride as if I am invisible or as if every 'cage' is out to get me, aka Defensive Driving.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
When I was an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation)instructor, I taught people that all accidents are the motorcycle rider's fault. At least that's the attitude a rider should adopt. While there are acts of God or impossible situations, 90% of bike accidents are avoidable with proper riding techniques, proper mental techniques, experience, and good equipment. I'm a testament, riding now for 38 years and never down on the street.

I also ride off road, in part to perfect my street instincts.

There are no guarantees, but in many ways the danger makes it a respectable challenge. While the biker may be at a severe disadvantage in an accident, we are far more able to stay out of accidents with better braking, handling, acceleration and situational awareness.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Well said, Corey, but not entirely true.

quote:
we are far more able to stay out of accidents with better braking, handling

Sudden braking, without upset, is extremely challenging for the motorcyclist and the motorcycle, even if it has ABS. Even if they are going in a straight line, the tire contact area for friction with the roadway is tiny. In a curve, the contact area is on the 'side' of the tire, where the efforts of the suspension system, to maintain contact, are negated.
I have often practiced applying both front and rear brakes in non-crisis situations, in an effort to make it automatic. As you know, if the front and/or rear locks up, upset of the cycle is likely, where it would be no issue for the MINI.

Handling of the motorcycle, in terms of sudden changes of direction, is affected by forward momentum and also by the gyroscopic nature of motorcycle wheels. Frame geometry, lean angle, steering axis, road crown/banking... all these things combine to make quick course changes with a cycle, in a curve, difficult or impossible compared to a responsive automobile.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bo...motorcycle-dynamics/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well said, Corey, but not entirely true.

I consider it entirely true as an avid and educated rider as well as someone who has raced cars and owned many performance cars.

The "average" motorcycle will easily out brake, accelerate or handle evasive directional change versus the "average" automobile. Now, comparing a mini to a Goldwing you may have a point, but those aren't averages.

Concerning wheel lock up under braking, those events are easily handled by an educated or experienced motorcyclist. I ride a KTM 300 XCW off road and the bike is almost always in a state of non linear lock up with the terrain while fully under control.

Motorcycle tires are designed for side contact to the point that a normal rider would be very uncomfortable. Motorcycle suspensions are also designed for off vertical performance if properly managed. The problems usually occur from the rider either not properly setting up cornering or braking or not using weight management of their own mass as part of the proper operation of the motorcycle/rider package.

The gyroscopic effect of the wheels and the engine are what keeps a bike upright under speed and is another very controllable part of the physics of riding.

Every high performance car vs HP bike comparison I've ever seen shows they're very close to identical on a road course. But a large percentage of motorcycles could be considered a "performance" vehicle where the average car is a far cry.

How about mini vs. R1200GS with Givi/Two Brothers exhaust and K&N? Big Grin or better yet, KTM vs Mini (track my choice)?

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
One thing for the motorcyclist to remember ....
You can learn all the skills and saftey tips you want. You can be the "best" on your bike but you can't control the car/truck that's going to hit you.
All my years I was every alert and in fact did avoid several close calls and when on the "duty bike" with lights & siren getting to an emergency, zig & zagging thru traffic was with eyes 360 around my helmet.

When struck from behind,while driving down the hwy in the shoulder lane at 45mph, was beyond my ability to avoid it. The guy that hit us admitted he was going to go straight across the hwy and at the last minute changed his mind and turned left into the back of the bike.

He never saw us at all until the crash. The kicker to the accident he was a "biker type" and kept saying "man I'm a biker - are you guys ok".
I finally told him to stand over by his car after several times of him repeating it. Barb was sitting on the ground, face snow white, shaking and going into shock.
Without her helmet she would not be here today.

If I did get another one (if somehow I came into a lot of money) I think I would like to try out the Can-Am trikes. I got to ride on the back of one at the state park and it was very cool.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your falls into the category of the 10% unavoidable Jim. No doubt, with less protection a biker is more vulnerable. A helmet is a must wear to increase the odds. I've had birds hit me at 60+ mph on the helmet and it's like a cannon went off! Would probably have knocked me out without protection.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Not sure where mine belongs..

Subdivision intersection, crossroad has stop sign. Car approaching from left.. collision course.. watch out.. oops, never mind.. front end of car is dropping, brakes on, slowing down, gonna stop. (defensive driving...)

I continue, engine roars, she guns it! shoots past sign, heading for my left leg, closing fast. (faked me out!)

I swerve right, can't avoid, jump straight up, car hits cycle, I clear the hood, continue into long deep wet grass in front yard, grass stains head to toe. A few bruises (one stripe on thigh from radio antenna, remember when they were in front?) Bike tumbled and raced till I shut it off.

Her side: Husband leaves town, leaves wife with car that stalls at lights, etc. She's driving, looks both ways, doesn't see cyclist (10 AM broad daylight, headlight on), car dies, she guns it through the intersection. Never saw me till the bike went down...wow

Guess I was lucky (like last summer in Canada?)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Yes, the power to weight ratio of most modern motorcycles far exceeds that of most modern automobiles. 175hp in 450lb is scary fast.

Never the less, not MSF, not anybody can repeal the laws of physics. When (not if) adhesion is lost, what will be the consequences on the motorcycle vs in the automobile?
If I failed to ride my Aprilia, MZ, BMW or others I've had as skillfully as the most accomplished riders, I ran the risk of being severely punished for my ineptitude.
If I fail to drive my MINI or my Mercury as well as even an average driver, severe consequences are much less likely.
I have low sided on account of the slightest miscalculation or ill-timed line correction. I have high sided (as did at least two other bikes) and slid down the interstate on my back I-don't-know-how-far due to a deep surface defect of the pavement. In an automobile, the same scenarios would have been uneventful.
So..... after all this topic drift, deadhorse we probably all agree that the old man will be safer in any Barth than on his Yamaha Tooling Along cheers

posted Hide Post
quote:
There are essentially only two (albeit sometimes one-in-the-same) groups of motorcyclists:
(1) Those who have crashed.
(2) Those who are going to crash.

Yes, I agree that you appear to be better off on four wheels, but I'd ask that you respect that there is a third category (3) those that haven't crashed and won't (unless very bad luck intervenes).

I did give up white water kayaking due to the realization that I would be hurt or killed despite my attempt to gain adequate skill.