Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth stories, bought and sold
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted

My coach was listed on Craiglist on Wednesday and I purchased it for less than 64 cents a pound the following Monday. I think I got a nice buy. I paid just what they were asking. It also cost over $500 in fuel to drive the Barth home. At $4.00 per gallon and 60 miles per hour, that is about $50 per hour in fuel consumption!

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I paid $30K in Jan '06; this was about the going price for 28' Breakaways then. Because the PO had taken extremely good care, this was a better-than-average price. IIRC, asking was $32,900. It was especially appealing because it's the prototype for post '93 28' Breakaways; it has a raised floor, providing about as much basement (including a pass-through) as a Regency 32' - I could get all my astrogear into the coach with only a couple of tripods inside.

Going in I knew that I would eventually have to deal with the engine (Stock early version GM 6.5L TD, 190HP) and the transmission (AAMCO overhaul). With the replacement AMG built-to-order 6.5L TD and the uprated transmission (from Suncoast Converters, Ft, Walton Beach) fuel economy has gone from 9.1 to 12+ mpg. I've put 91K miles on the coach (~80K on the new engine), so I'm using it. It works out, with all expenses, to about a buck a mile... Tooling Along

The main gripe has been the engine accessories Mad : Dash A/C compressor (on the 4th, but finally found a Delco that fit), parking brake actuator (3rd), P/S pump (4th - two replacements broke their shafts), and master cylinder (3rd). I now have shelf or onboard spares for all.

Among the repairs/upgrades have been:
- New roof air
- Honda EV-4010 generator
- In-motion satellite dish
- 3-way reefer
- Complete differential rebuild/driveshaft/calipers, rotors, and pads at billyt53's shop - and I can recommend them highly!
- Boost gage
- EGT gage
- Tranny temp gage
- Generator fuel gage (separate 24 Gal gaso tank)
- New dash radio
- Upgraded engine oil cooler
- Mag-Hytec diffy cover
- Mag-Hytec tranny pan
- LG DVD player/digital TV tuner
- LG LCD TV
- "Studio-monitor" grade speakers
- Headlight relays + upgrade to Sylvania Silver Star lamps
- Home-built Genturi
- Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries
- ProSine true sinewave inverter
- Furnace overhaul
- New dash blower motor
- LED lights (ongoing project)
- Folddown table at dash
- Vacuum pump
- Upgraded air compressor (for horns) - also replaced the tubing front to back and the air tank and horn relay
- Barth (Beer) clock
- Replaced 3 nav lights
- Replaced taillight lenses

Future projects include the installation of the Alcoa wheels, a Fluidmpr crankshaft damper, and aux fans for the radiator.

I probably have over $50K in the coach, or about 28% of the price of a Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR @$189K. It's paid-for, and the fuel economy is great! I estimate the ~$15K spent on the engine and tranny has returned over $8,000 in fuel savings.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
The PO had my 1990 32' Regency listed on Craigslist at $19,000 in Springfield, IL. I paid him $18,000 for it. I had to travel about 200 miles one way to see it. I decided to buy it but he would not take anything but straight cash. It was already after banking hours so I traveled back home without it. I traveled back to his place a couple weeks later with the cash. The tires looked good but were over 10 years old so... had to spend $3000 in tires. Also had spend about $400 for new starter batteries. I have done some other work to it and have about $24,000 total in including the $18,000 I paid for it. Oh... I also had a 36' RV shelter put up on my property costing $6,500. It is black and silver like yours Kevin.... wish I could figure out a way to brighten up the paint as it is dull in some places. Don't want the expense of repainting. Other than that, we have driven it to Colorado Springs, San Antonio twice, Huntville AL, and St Louis several times from South Central Missouri. We enjoy it very much!!

Fred & Cindy Cook
1990 32' Regency, Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Bought 86Barth in March of 2011. 86,700 miles. The PO had been asking for $10k but would have taken $8k. I gave him $10k because he's my bro-in-law and took good care of the coach.

I drove to Florida to pick it up but I had a month to look over and fix a bunch of stuff. Drove home towing car, first time doing either. Minor problems (fuel filters, etc) only

Meanwhile, been Back to FLA two more times, Denver twice, Milford and several GTGs. Now have about 20,000 miles since March 2011!

As for expenses... oh boy. Mostly upgrades, a few repairs. New AC, water heater, Honda generator, antisway bar, air bags, crankshaft (!) radiator, tires, fuel injection system, GPS speedometer, LED lights, and too many others to mention. (you've seen the posts!) I'm too scared to add it up... easily another $10k.

All money well spent. Reliability and peace of mind are improving steadily. Great travel times and met many great people as well.

When I'm done with it I'll probably be lucky to get $10k and I don't care.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Bought our 86 Regal for $1000 under what the P.O. was asking. With only 37,000 miles on it and the prices that were being asked at that time we got a great deal on it.

Our 76 Class C was purchased for $200 less than asking price. Have about 3 times that in it now.

Both are great coaches. This year we have been using Classy a lot. At this time I could probably get more than my money back, but the therapy cost for Barth withdraws would put me in the hole.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
I brought my Barth originally for 16 cents per lb..

After making the necessary repairs to make road worthy it's up to 37 c.p.p. and climbing.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Going by the GVWR of 14,500 pounds I paid about $1 per pound or $14,200.

Since owning I have installed new Kenwood sound system, Samsung LED flat screen, DVD player, vacuum and oil pressure gauges, steering stabilizer, LED interior lighting, spark plugs, wires and distributor, 4 new Goodyear tires on the rear duals, I think that's it.

Oh yeah I built an addition on my barn to park the motorhome in. Extra few thousand for that.

I'll always be looking for improvements whether its really needed or just stuff I want.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
That was a long time ago, but the PO was a salesman at a huge dealership and grabbed the Euro because he knew what it was and thought he'd use it. After a year he put it up for 7800 if I rcall correctly, so I offered him 7. We always figured on putting a grand or so per year, and that's pretty much worked out, so we have about 17 G in her, and might get 5 on a good day. It doesn't matter, she's not for sale.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don was asking $19995, in US dollars, for the 1990 Regency,an amount I thought was very reasonable. Since I still have a 1993 Winnebago Vectra to sell in the spring, my resources were limited on what I could afford now. We finally came to a figure of approximately $18,600 US. Added to this were a plane ticket for my son and I to Toronto ($400), $150 expense money for Don to bring the coach from Niagara Falls to the Toronto airport, a one night motel bill of $102 and roughly $800 for fuel on the return trip. (cdn. diesel prices are much higher than US)

This brought the total price in US dollars to $19,750 which was slightly less than Don's asking price. The latter amount was my limit until the Vectra is sold. Don and I came to a deal based on this situation and I must thank him for allowing me to have the Barth with lesser # coming to him.

I have a whole series of upgrades planned. I expect that I will spend at least $2k per year for the next 2 years on small items. More, of course, if something big happens.

My view of this is the same as Don's- just the cost of doing business with a coach you love.

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Clint
What kind of Barth is it? We own a 1990 Barth Regency and enjoy it very much. We are driving it just over 100 miles today to St. Louis to visit some relatives over Thanksgiving holiday. Hope you enjoy your Barth!

Fred & Cindy Cook
1990 32' Regency, Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Fred, there was a complete description of the coach when it was posted for sale, along with several photos. now it has been moved to SOLD.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/8143944877

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fred:

This is Don Leaming's 1990 34' narrow body Regency with 8.3 Cummins and Allison 4 speed. Refer to Barth coaches sold, 4th down, Don in Niagara.

I see that you have a 1990 wide body Regency with the same power combo. How do like it?

Also does yours have the front electrical compartment schematic? Mine doesn't. If you have one, a copy would be appreciated.

Thanks for your interest

Clint

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I bought my 25 ft. Regal in July for over $19,000
My first motorhome and it's worth it.
Even if the PO might have omitted a few items related to the condition, parts and pieces I could not be happier to have a Barth. I was a first time buyer and should have seeked your comments before buying.

As I look around at other motor homes of the same age it's apparent that the quality of my Barth is far superior than most.

So far I've spent a pretty penny to
Replace a leveler
Replace all 4 shocks
Install new springs
Service the generator
Repair outside shower
Repair the wiper motor ( a small fortune)
Replace the Radiator fan
Repair the automatic steps
Repair the showe drain
Install a new Radio
Oh, wheel covers too.
Bought a carport for cover. She's never been outside
And general clean up

Don't get me wrong. Yes I've spent money on this beauty and I still feel very comfortable having a Barth compared to many other SOBs. I don't expect to make my money back but will enjoy just the same.

Now if I can just find time to go on my first weekend trip I'll be so happy.

Happy Holidays to all you great Barth owners and for all your comments that are so helpful.

Hank
1997 25' Regal
P-30 454 Chevy

PS
Yes I have made a contribution to the website but can't figure out how to post it or a photo in the sidebar.

PSS
Remember to buy your gifts local....especially your grits!

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RCooper
posted Hide Post
The Regency I purchased is the one mentioned in the Barth Sightings thread that was located in Maple Valley, WA on Craigslist. I picked it up for $8500. So far I have driven from Maple Valley to Everett, then from Everett to Sequim (maybe 150 miles). The only issue from the driving aspect is that is was down on power going up hills. I attribute that to a fuel filter. At a first look it seemed that everything worked as it should with a few minor exceptions. I have had to replace the water pressure regulator valve, the old valve prevented the water from passing through to fill the tanks. The coach is in extremely good condition for its age. Most issues are minor little things. It seems that the hot water tank does not work electrically but it does with gas. I think it needs new element. I have been learning more and more as I use it. It seems from what I am learning from this site is that I got quite a bargain! Smiler

Posts: 8 | Location: Sequim, WA | Member Since: 12-04-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hank
1997 25' Regal
P-30 454 Chevy

PS
Yes I have made a contribution to the website but can't figure out how to post it or a photo in the sidebar.

Thanks for the support, Hank. Eventually, the webmaster or moderator will get you name up to date as a supporting member.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post