Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Dreaded steel skirt frames...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dreaded steel skirt frames...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
Just wondering.. Has any one just removed the skirts and boxes leaving it like a box truck with exposed frame?
I'm considering it! This steel framework is a mess!
There's a lot of tool/storage box options designed to hang in that open belly area. Could be interesting!

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Kevin did a lot of work on his, including have C-channels made. It's a big job. The Achilles heal of the Barth design.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Achilles heel indeed. Almost every Regal I have seen has issues with them and the steel basement compartments. That Is why I am leery of the Barths now.

A poor design in general. In addition to being steel frames, the outer aluminum skins were riveted to the steel frames with minimal insulation between. Appeared to be just a layer of duct tape which was mostly gone. The dissimilar metals promote accelerated corrosion of the steel.

On my 86 Regal, the side sections between the drive and tag axles were flopping loose. I got 14 of the curved square tubes from Kevin. I planned to put one in front and one behind all six wheel wells, plus a couple more behind the tag axles. I planned to put a layer of polyethylene plastic between skin and rib, then use stainless steel rivets.

As much as I did on the 86, I never got them installed. I gave them to Alan when I sold the coach, he may have installed them by now. I did replace two of the four basement compartment floors.

Removing the side panels altogether and new compartments may be less work and a fresh start. Good luck, keep us posted if you try it. Thumbs Up

Caveat emptor.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
When I bought Old Blue-a long time ago-there was rot in some-maybe 30%- of the tubing. My son-in-law welded replacement tubing in some of the worst cases and I scraped and used chassis saver on others. In every case where the skirt was attached to the tubing, I drilled out the rivets, and replaced them with ss rivets that had ss mandrels. I then bought large, 2" diameter plastic washers that were about 1/4" thick and placed them between the aluminum skirt and the 1" steel tubing, at each rivet location. Some of my floors had pin hole corrosion and I scraped, primed, and jbwelded, every one. I also did chassis saver on the outside of the boxes. The whole thing worked pretty well. Took a bunch of time. Of course, I was only 69 then. Today-unless the tubing and boxes showed no corrosion, I would buy a motor home that didn't have this design flaw. However, if one could find a Barth that doesn't show the corrosion, and that 'one' was me, I'd buy the Barth. That being said, I am a little too sentimental.
Hum (aka Jim)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did a good job. As you discovered it is labor intensive. If you can find one that has been stored inside or already repaired like that one, it would be a very desirable coach.

Sadly, most are in need of this kind of repair, in addition to numerous other accumulated maintenance projects. This is why some well intentioned buyers get overwhelmed and the projects get stalled.

I had hoped to get to Texas one of these days and see how the 86 is doing. Alan replaced the shower stall, replaced the bumpers, installed an extra AC for the Texas heat and was working on the skirts last I knew. If he gets them done it will be an excellent coach. The interior was good, all new accessories, chassis and driveline were fully upgraded. With skirts and paint job it would be a superior coach. I always liked that coach. With the tag axle and fuel injected 400 hp it ran and drove really well. Just needed a bit more room for our extended stays.

I will need to repair some of the steel in the basement storage of the Monarch soon. Not nearly as bad as the Regal 1 inch square side tubes, but floors will need attention. The enclosed basement on the Monarch is a much better design. The poor choice of rivets was Barth's mistake on the Monarch. I recently replaced 395 rivets down the side trim strips.
The Spartan chassis is in good shape, should last as long as I ever need it.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Thanks, will keep you posted!

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
chassis saver

....don't remember hearing thia term befoee (gaga?)...

https://4wdlife.com/best-chassis-frame-paint

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=chassis%20saver

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Our 77 20 footer has a bad case of this rusted support condition!! However the 93 36 footer has spent most (maybe all) of its time in less corrosive conditions, but reportedly did make a trip to Alaska --- so the Yukon road salting would have had some effect unless the trip was without rain (or road maintenance-- the roads are watered prior to being graded). We keep the the '93 in Arizona under cover to keep the visible parts of the Barth as well as is possible-- plus two coats of wax per year (for about 11 years so far)

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had success with a commercial (or homemade concoction) product that retards the corrosion? I would think a highly penetrating substance would greatly reduce the deterioration. It's not like the motorhomes are driven daily and regularly exposed to the elements. Something that could be applied via a hand pumped sprayer would be practical.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
That might help on the steel boxes and the steel tubing that supports them but where the steel tubing comes into contact with the aluminum skirt, you will have galvanic action unless you separate the two dissimilar metals.

Hum (aka Jim)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B