Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Spare parts suggestions?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Spare parts suggestions?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted
My wife and I are planning a year long trip on the road. We have lived in a motor coach for the last 14 years, but in a diesel coach, now we live in a 1991 22ft Barth. I'm asking this question because we were in CAN last year and spent a week at a Chevrolet dealer, and everything we needed they had to get from somewhere else in CAN like carburetor, parts,wires, water pump etc. We are going again and finish what we didn't last year. We will only be there for about 3 weeks.(FYI if you are on Medicare and step over the country border your insurance stops.) Having 10 cardiac stents I will not be dallying in CAN. Then we will stay in the states, midwest, north west and then south to AZ and NM where the local parts store should have parts for the Chevy 454. I have spare belts and will get a fuel filter. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 73 | Location: MA | Member Since: 06-13-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I carry a lot of spares… confusion

It depends on your skills, tools and what you are willing to tackle in the parking lot or the side of the road.

I have had good luck finding GM parts most places I have been. (besides, you can get them quickly from the web if needed.) There might be 1 day delay but usually not more.

So… it boils down to how much you can do with parts (assuming you have them) and how much time you are willing to spend to get them while on the road.

Since I can do almost anything with the right parts, and I don't usually have a toad, I tend to be a parts packrat.

Besides the usual stuff, belts, hoses, plugs, cap, coil, wires I have a starter, an alternator, fuel filters, fuel pump, fuel tank selector valve. Spare u-joints, spare front wheel bearings: TPS, MAP, O2 sensors as well. Diagnostic computer and cable. Muffler hangars and clamps. Exhaust manifold gaskets.

I have coils of 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 water hoses. Also 5/16 and 3/8 fuel line. Also trans cooler and oil cooler hose. Numerous clamps, lots of wire, fuses, switches, bulbs, relays. Gallons of motor oil, ATF, antifreeze, also power steering fluid, brake fluid, rear axle grease. Wheel bearing grease, grease gun.

So far, nothing has stopped me for long… mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Shadow!
Good luck on your travels... The key to effective preparedness has to do with bringing items that are lightweight, somewhat difficult to find "on the road", and have a known probability of failure.

Do what the other guys advise. Also, go for an HEI module, fuel filters, belts, hoses, maybe a carb rebuild kit, wires, plugs, fuel pump... If you are unable to do the work, lots of mechanics can, as long as they have the parts.

Water pumps, alternators, carbs add weight. Maybe that is a concern, or have them packed and ready to ship and left with a friend.

On my big trip in 2009, I saw a guy with a huge diesel pusher RV with a giant CAT engine, and somewhere in Utah, he had to fly a mechanic to the site of his breakdown (or so he told me)..
Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Think about replacing the fuel sender unit and the in tank pump and the rubber hoses at the gas tank area before you go on a long trip.
Matt

Sender Unit: Spectra FG12X, that part number is burned in my memory....

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Is that sending unit part number pretty well fit all Barths on 454 Regal chassis?

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post