Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Polished Alum. Sealer -Recommendation
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Spent yesterday winterizing, cleaning & prepping the Barth for 4 month's storage - always a sad affair for me Frowner It also concluded a 5-year completely unscientific and totally subjective study I've done regarding the best product to seal unpainted & polished aluminum.

Since 2003 I've applied 17 different products to various sections of the exterior. As I get older (read: more lazy), I wanted a product that would reduce/eliminate constant touch-up polishing made necessary through the normal oxidizing process of bare polished aluminum, especially protection from rain-borne contaminants that accelerate the oxidation and pitting of the surface.

By a long shot, the Grand Champion was GLARE. Upside: Easy to apply, long lasting, great protection from water spotting, minimum compromise of final surface luster, easy stripping when repolishing. Downside: The stuff is $$!

The manufacturer claims it works on virtually any hard surface - I have no reason to doubt this. (Gave some to owner of Beechcraft A-36 w/ new Imron paint job....He loved it & bought more.)

FMI: http://glare.com/ecart/proddet...%2Dglr%2D001%3A%3A01

Surprizing to me, I had to give Second Place to good-ole WD-40, rating it more effective than 15 other products designed to be a "sealer" only. Rubbed in with a micro-fiber, it did the job for the longest time. Downside: Tended to attract dust & road grime more than others, also compromised final luster of finish more than some.

So next Spring, I'll strip and polish once more, apply GLARE to the entire exterior, and hopefully my polishing equipment will then sit idle for a few years Thumbs Up

Not a stockholder....Just a customer.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Lee,

Did you ever try good ole fashioned car wax or Carnuba wax? I've never had to do such a large surface, but wax seems a good product unless it affects the luster too much.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Hi Corey,

Regular consumer grade waxes, including carnuba-based ones, gave a good transparent luster. I marked them down mainly because I routinely wash-down after every trip with some pretty aggressive detergents (I add some low pH kickers). Organic waxes just don't hold up long enough to justify the effort. Conversley, after almost 6 months parked outside, 4k miles and about a dozen washings, the Glare seems to be holding up well, with no noticeable degradation. I could probably leave it as-is now and still garner an occasional Ooh or Aah next season, but it's an ego-thing I guess Roll Eyes

Besides, IMHO, your 'Bird's exterior just screams for an application of Glare Big Grin Just keep in mind that it is not a rubbing compound or deoxidizer....it'll only put a long term seal over whatever is underneath. I'd say you should restore finish with whatever products you like and then go back and apply
Glare for a topcoat - an orbital buffer w/ terry cloth or micro fiber pads make it pretty easy.....

'Course, you've got about 3 acres more surface than I do, so talk is cheap cheers

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you really thought it through.

I'll need to get some Glare and give it a try. There is nothing like a shiny finish and you are my mentor in that department!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
If this (link) is the same stuff, the price is like ten dollars savings.
http://www.parkeryamaha.com/ho...ish12oz.aspx#reviews

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this is the same stuff

Good catch!.....According to posters on a Harley site, it is the same product, private labeled for Honda. That'll be my future source for sure!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Now you tell me! After I already ordered two bottles.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
So this goes on just like a wax? I got to tell ya, I have wheeled my coach out 5 times now already, and I think it needs another once over after 4 months.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
I REEEEEEAAAALY like the polished look a lot. I guess I am in the market for a new door. I swear mine is fiberglass.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's a result of using Semi-chrome poli on a painted surface. It's not recommended but my paint is getting to the point where nothing will hurt it so I gave it a shot. The big rectangle to the left of the door has been treated up the left side and across the top.

I finished that section and today I'll wax it. Should look OK for a while.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Danny

There was a product, I think they called it liquid
ebony, it was great for cleaning a dull paint surface on cars before waxing. A lot of body shops used it. It did require an electric buffer.
Don't know if it still around. A lot of used car lots also used it ,however they never followed up with the wax as the shine would last long enough to sell the car.
Just an idea.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Astro-Shield and Nu-Finish also work well for restoring finishes; the trick is to continue rubbing after applying (like a spit shine).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Lee,
Now that winter is over and its been almost 6 months since you first posted, just wondering if you have any more thoughts or input on the "Glare" sealer you used. I am looking at this product or Liquid Glass to do our Breakaway. I'm not looking for a "mirror" type finish, just looking to put a good protectant on the paint finish that I do not have to do every month or two. Also, how much would I need to do two coats on a 33' coach?
I never had to do anything to Barth I and it always looked good just by washing it. And maybe that is the same with Barth II? The Sikkins paint is incredible that they put on these coaches.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Hi Bruce,

I think my general recommendations are the same, i.e.:

1. Use whatever product/method/system you like to clean and prep the surface.....GLARE is not a cleaner - just a high gloss, long lasting sealer.

2. Whatever surface you end up with in #1, GLARE will just add gloss and seal the surface.

I used less than 1&1/2, 12oz bottles on a 24' bare metal unit, but I've got zero experience with painted surfaces, so your mileage may vary....

If ya try it, let me know what ya think.....

Enjoy Barth II this season! Tooling Along

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I used two bottles on the 93 Regency and it shines! Just took a trip through rain and dirt and it washed clean and clear. I also used it on the windows as they suggest and it performed like Rain X. It looks like a keeper and I plan to continue ulsing it.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post