Tools
Reply To This Topic

A VW toad for Steve VW
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
Like I need another project... I just couldn't pass this one up.

Found a VW bus in Traverse City, 1971, fairly clean, runs. When I get around to painting 86Barth, I'll paint it to match. Barth and miniBarth! ROTFLMAO

A short ride on the tow dolly, just got it home. Should be a hoot when it's done!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Groovy! Far out!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of johnny griner
posted Hide Post
This will turn heads forever... Thumbs Up

Posts: 18 | Location: Atlanta GA | Member Since: 05-08-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
16 yr. old and my first motor home, a 1966 VW transporter (walk thru bus.) Bed in the back, ice box, coleman stove, AM-FM Cassette stereo.

1500 cc engine. Gasoline aux heater. $200.00 + $100.00 for new biased ply tires. $12.00 for new exhaust system. $0.49 gasoline and 20+MPG. Sota miss them days.

Have both a 74 Super Beetle and 62 tube caged dirt buggy. Just can't get away from them VW's.

I think it will make a great TOAD. Don't Know how your going to get that Silver Hawk in there. Guess you can put a hitch on it and tow the trailer. nono

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
NICE! That will look sweet, head turner indeed. I always loved the Microbus.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
A red and white Barth. Now that will be a head turner for sure Smiler
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm staying with the Regal scheme. I am obviously biased, but the paint job on the 85/86 Regals with the curving lines is my favorite Regal scheme. It was way ahead of its time, mostly straight lines were used until the curves became so popular in the 90's. The toad will have the same pattern and colors as the Barth!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Oldest son and I have a 1982 Vanagon with a 1996 diesel conversion. Thinking of adding long hair to the white beard and hair so even more cops stop me when ever I drive it. Tooling Along All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sloop John B:
Thinking of adding long hair to the white beard and hair so even more cops stop me when ever I drive it.

In the '60s, I painted a friend's VW bus. I painted it Chrome Yellow, as requested. When we were done, before it was to be color-sanded, another friend and I made a flower, peace and love van out of it with water base paint.

The owner about SH%T when he came and saw it. We almost fell down laughing, he was so dumbfounded. We let him wail for a little while before we showed him how the flowers were easily removed in the color sanding process.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, I'm staying with the Regal scheme.

That sounds good. As long as it's red and white ROTFLMAO

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
We let him wail for a little while before we showed him how the flowers were easily removed in the color sanding process.

Great sense of humor. We need more of that today.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found a VW bus in Traverse City, 1971

SWEET! Thumbs Up
I think that was the year I traded in my 1968 AMX for a new Westy.
check this out. saw one in person at a MINI party a few weeks ago:
http://intermeccanica.com/athi...-vehicles/kubelwagen

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The guy I bought the bus from runs a body shop. He is working on a 57 and a 62 beetle and didn't have time for the bus. There is a VW Thing in there being repaired. The original VW Jeep!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a VW Thing in there being repaired. The original VW Jeep!

I'd say the WWII era KUBELWAGEN was the original VW 'jeep'. The THING was more akin to the concept of the Austin MINI Moke.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I got sidetracked from 86Barth again. I pulled all 4 wheels, replaced all tires. Discovered to my immense surprise that the entire brake system has been replaced: master cylinder, lines, hoses, cylinders, calipers, shoes, pads, drums and rotors!

What a great lucky break. Saves me many dollars in parts and tons of work. I'll spend my money on the engine! Thumbs Up

The original Westfalia weekender interior is still there, but worn out and heavy. I took it out to have some more room and less dead weight. I'll find some VW owner who wants the interior for patterns and/or restoration.

Meanwhile, I will get some carpet and find a simple bench seat for the back. Lots more space, 200 lbs lighter, no more right rear blind spot.

When the 454 is done I have already got stuff ready for the toad.

New pistons, pins, rings, cylinders
gaskets, seals
exhaust valves, pushrod tubes
external oil cooler and filter
new J pipes and exhaust system
clutch, pressure plate, bearing
throttle and clutch cables
left, right front door seals, side cargo door seal, rear cargo door seal
LED tail and clearance lights

To be continued: Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp