Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sweet! (What do you mean tow bar... don't need no stinking tow bar!) ROTFLMAO

Same color, too. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Looks like SteveVW has finished his toad:
https://imgur.com/7FkErqa

When the link is gone we will still have the picture.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kevin. That thing is a hoot. ROTFLMAO

Trying to id the empennage, maybe an old Maule taildragger?
That wing bothers me, it looks like it is on backwards? No flaps or ailerons...

Whoever parked it there must have been really high... Big Grin

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

That wing bothers me, it looks like it is on backwards? No flaps or ailerons... Big Grin

I think it is the leading half of maybe a half wing. Note the tip is short of a completed fluid end. No one is supposed to look this closely because the tears of laughter should mask the failings of design. Razzer Smiler

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Tail feathers sure look like a Maule. Wing is probably on backwards 'cause balance weights (tips) are usually trailing; not leading.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sidetracked a bit. The ignition switch is mounted on the steering column and includes a steering lock. The only way to leave the steering unlocked for towing was to leave the key in and on. Would need to disconnect battery...

I did not want the steering lock at all, but it is integrated with the ignition lock. The key cylinder was trashed and often would not allow the key to be removed. I removed the entire steering lock and key switch assembly and wired in a generic ignition key switch. No worry about the steering lock and I have a key switch that works now.

Meanwhile my beefy new U bolts arrived. I made the pattern with 3/8 x 2 1/2 U bolts but I wanted something better for a tow rig. Ordered some 1/2 x 2 1/2 U bolts. They have fine threads and are Grade 5. They are more than twice as strong.

I got some steel strap and angle brackets and started laying out the framework. The two main draw bars are 3/8 x 3 inch strap. The braces are 1/4 x 2 inch.

26 holes later the frame is mostly done. The front vertical angle brackets will attach to similar brackets hanging down from the bumper mounts on the body. I will also have rear diagonal braces which attach to the upper torsion tubes with one U bolt and bolt to the center of the draw bars.

I will attach the u bolts to the bus next, raise it into position and install the angle brackets to line up with the bumper mounts. Then some measurements for the rear vertical braces and it should be ready for painting. Mechanic

One of these days I might actually drive or tow this thing. confusion ROTFLMAO

Another side track: My new captain's chairs for the Monarch arrived today. New recliner arrives Monday. Can't wait to swap out my driver's seat.

It looks like Forida 2018 will be a bit different this year. Hopefully be dragging the VW. We'll be leaving around Feb1 for Florida but we won't be at the Keys. The RV park there is still closed from the hurricane damage. Making other plans for March. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
Steve, Did you do the welding on the black bar?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The front bar was a prefab from Blue Ox. Intended to bolt to an older Jeep flat bumper. At $68 I could not get one made that cheap, decided not to re-invent that wheel.

When I get the thing finished, I may end up welding the rest of the joints, but I think the cross bolted setup will be adequate. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
That front bar looks exactly like the one I got for my Amigo. Yours is upside down from mine. I also cut the middle out and welded a 2" receiver in so I can push my electronics equipment trailer. I have a lot of room on my driveway but lots of stuff to work around.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve in all this nice weather you are having did you get a chance to test drive the VW toad yet?? We all are curious if you had 0 to 60 mph checked!!!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No driving yet. It has been crazy cold and the roads were crap. Thawing this weekend. I will drive it next week for sure. Have to hook up gauges too.

I will finish the tow bar soon. I will test it using the pickup to pull the toad. Assuming OK we'll be almost road ready. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I painted the towbar. I installed the front brackets under the front bumper mounts, between the bumper and the body. I used new bolts and I tapped the threads in the old mounting holes, they should be OK. The bumper mounts are pretty rusted, another future project.

Now I will drag the mount under, attach the U bolts and fit the front brackets to the tow bar. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Weather permitting in the Upper Popsicle, I am curious How she drives after all your work.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I got the tow bar mount mostly installed. Bolted the rear U bolts to the torsion tubes, then attached the forward brackets to the bumper mount points. I put grade 8 bolts at the front corners (the rest are grade 5.)

It is very sturdy. (Weighs about 50 lbs!) I will add vertical diagonal braces from the upper torsion tube down to the middle of the draw bars.

I still need to connect the trailer light harness to the VW light circuits.

Almost road toad ready. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
The hitch is over engineered. Are planning a tandem tow of another heavier rig hooked to the VW, or maybe thinking of stretching the VW into a longer VW.