Tools
Reply To This Topic

A VW toad for Steve VW
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I figured erring on the stout side would be good. I tried to eliminate any weak spots, tie everything together well.

Another fine product from "Empirical Builders" Mechanic (We don't measure anything, we cut it to fit.) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5160 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Great job Steve!As Usual! From my A&P background I would recommend running the bolts down instead of up. You got a lot of them so probably a non issue, just my standard practice. Hope to see ya at a GTG this summer, Minnesota or Colorado. I am becoming much more free these days.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to hear about the test tow, and how the VW runs. Sure looks great!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks for the comments guys. Thumbs Up

Ed, I usually install the bolts with nuts down so if they loosen, the nuts fall off and the bolt stays, maybe. In this case, I decided not to let them hang down in the interest of less snagging. I leave enough DNA whenever I roll around under there already. Less trouble with road kill dragging, too. Hide

I spent some more time with the electrical system. Ah, the joys of 45 year old wiring...

Previously, when I removed the steering lock/ignition switch I found the wiring to the turn signal switch was frayed, broken, and badly soldered. After replacing the ignition switch, I had to remove the turn signal switch, resolder new pigtails to the switch contacts and reconnect the harness. Another few hours sidetracked. Meanwhile turn signals still did not flash... head bang
The 4 way flasher switch literally fell apart when I moved wiring around. Replaced the switch and spent more time relacing the harness with ty-raps to get things snug again. The flashers still did not work, turns out the flasher module was also shot. Plugged in a new one, finally flashing.

Getting back on track, I started connecting the tow lighting harness. Tied into parking lights at the light switch, no problem. I also cleaned up and tied up the headlight switch wiring. Hooked into left and right tail light wires only to find that powering either turn signal would light both bulbs. hmm
It seems that when not turning, the turn signal switch leaves the rear lights connected for combined brake use. In order to prevent cross feed through the turn signal switch, I connected my trailer harness wires directly to each tail light wire and put an isolation diode in each of the feed wires from the turn signal switch. Voila! (The tricks we have to use sometimes...) Mechanic

Brakes are still combined but the turn signals are now isolated from each other. Works great. The cable and plug are done. We are ready for a towing road test. As soon as the roads clear (fresh snow last night) I will pull it with my pickup. Tooling Along

I still need to install my oil pressure and temp gauges. Have to run one wire and the pressure line from engine forward. Carb and timing need final adjustment. Almost ready to road test engine, too. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5160 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Back when I farmed and planted bolts, wrenches etc. (they never grew or surfaced) I got into the habit of drilling all bolts at the end so I could insert a hairpin clip. Amazing how much less iron was added to the soil after that minor work.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Another fun day in the garage.

I finished the panel wiring. Connected the wiring for the new gauges.

I installed the final diagonal brace on the passenger side. It ties the upper torsion tube to the draw bar. Probably not needed but ties things together well.

Unfortunately the strap I made for the driver side will fit in place but there is no room for the U bolt on the tube. There is a vacuum boost master brake cylinder bolted there.

I will have to move it inboard to clear the brake and steering assemblies. May not really be needed anyway...

Another big step: After 3 years of ownership I finally have plates and insurance and a need to have them! Thumbs Up

Tomorrow I will do the final adjustments on the engine. The roads are very icy now but thaw is expected. I will tow it and drive it soon! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ed, I usually install the bolts with nuts down so if they loosen, the nuts fall off and the bolt stays, maybe. In this case, I decided not to let them hang down in the interest of less snagging. I leave enough DNA whenever I roll around under there already. Less trouble with road kill dragging, too.

Because of your involvement with your father's yacht, I'm surprised you don't consider jam nuts...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I like peanut butter with my Jam nuts!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So Steve I see you have made plans for your trip south, does this mean all went well with the VW tow and run tests?? Your saga has been an inspiration to all of us with huge repair or upgrade plans...

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Friggin' cold again today. Finally got the carb and timing OK. It would not idle at all until I fiddled with the carb idle system. I found a small oil leak in one oil cooler line fitting, tightened up and no leaks at all now.

I got some good tech info from some VW websites but like everything technical there is much controversy about distibutor, carb and tuning. It now idles nicely.

Took it out for a quick mile drive and it went well. This is the first time I have driven it since I owned it other than moving it around in the yard. Engine starts instantly, runs well, sounds real good, still a bit tight. 30-50 lbs oil pressure but still not fully warmed up. New clutch is good.

Brakes are pretty weak and hopefully will wear in as they are used. Pedal is good just not grabbing well yet. If it does not improve I will look at them closely. (I just replaced cylinder, hardware and shoes on left rear, cylinder was leaking.)

Steering is stiff but at least not loose and sloppy. I will grease the front end before we leave.

I reconnected the backup and license plate lights. I removed bulbs and put white LEDs in the lights.

Ready for a longer test drive. (Even if it fails I still need to test the towbar!) ROTFLMAO

I hope the weather warms a bit by this weekend. Hoping to go soon.

This long project is finally coming along well. Only a few more projects planned for the "toad VW." Mechanic

Have Barth and toad VW, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geez that's fantastic Steve!!! Sounds like things will work out really well. Fighting the cold is a real pain, good luck!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Mother Nature has decided against test driving. Last Saturday the ground was bare and temps in the low 30's. We were not ready to leave, unfortunately. We had appointments on Mon and Tues.

Meanwhile, temperatures have plummeted (single digits, again, for a week...) and we have over a foot of snow, more every day. We may not be able to leave for a week more. head bang

I had time for a few more garage projects.

John Canning, wherever you are, you were right. After the brief test drive and some fooling with a timing light, I tried a dual advance distributor. Much better off idle response, no flat spot.

After some reading on VW blogs, John's advice became the answer. Turns out the Solex 34 carb on this engine was an early emissions version that had an odd idle bypass circuit. Intended to prevent emissions problems at idle, it runs very lean off idle. This causes a hesitation off idle.

In my case, I had to modify the carb idle system to even get it to idle. Based on info from the web, I made some changes and got a stable idle.

The 009 style centrifugal distributor ran well but is not as quick off idle with the lean carb. The dual advance distibutor has better throttle response. As John suggests, the 009 would probably be a good choice on a light chassis with a Solex 28 or 30. hmm

Running really well now, can't wait to drive. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So we now have the Upper Popsicle weather, it is 10 degrees has been snowing for 3 hours and forecast for another 4 hours. Come save me Steve!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Considering the title of this thread, this post is long overdue!

Well, it warmed up to 19 so I thought I'd see if the coach still runs. Had not been started since 2nd week of Dec. Ran the preheater for a few hours, it fired right up, ran fine.

Filled up with fuel and propane. When I returned I backed in and (FINALLY!) hooked up the toad VW! Hooked right up, lights working fine all around.

The coach makes the VW look SO small! ROTFLMAO

A few final things to load and we should be able to actually drive away with a VW toad behind! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I see you are ready!! We are supposed to get a foot of snow tonight, is this headed your way? Hit road today if so!! Have a great trip and I am jealous of you being safe and warm in Gods waiting room!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine