Tools
Reply To This Topic

A VW toad for Steve VW
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Towed the VW to Florida in October. A few more projects underway. After much searching I found an OEM rear seat for the VW. Rusty and stinky and not cheap but these are rare. It is the full width rear seat. I stripped it to the frames. I will retie a few of the springs and paint the frames. I have ordered new foam cushions and seat cover to match the front seats.

Meanwhile another lucky find on eBay. Below the windshield there is rust in the windshield channel. Only way to fix it is to remove the windshield. The windshield is not too bad, fogged around the edges but usable. I was afraid it might break when removed so tried to find a replacement. I was able to find the windshield gasket easily but new windshields are rare in the US. Cheapest I could find was around $350. confusion

I found one on eBay last summer for $129 at a glass shop in Daytona Beach but they would not ship it or hold it, pickup only. Fortunately it was still there in December so I drove over and picked it up. Better yet the price was reduced to $117 !
After the windshield rust repair and relacement, I will be able to get back to the body paint.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I retied a few springs and painted the frames. I ordered new foam cushions and seat covers to match the front seats. Replaced the seat backing with new sheet metal. I got the seats done today. I still need mounting brackets for the seat back but they turned out pretty well. Between the labor and parts it was anything but cheap but it is nice to have the seats done.

Retied some springs, wrapped rusty legs with fiberglass, covered springs with plastic instead of burlap:

Glued on the foam.

Slip on the seat cover.

Used sheet metal for the back of the upright seat.

Finished job.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, as with all your work looks fantastic!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2046 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I noticed the front right brake caliper was dragging at times. I decided to replace the calipers.

Oh the joys of (almost) 50 yr old vehicles. It seems those calipers were only produced in 1971 and 1972. They are basically extinct. New ones are not available and rebuilts are very rare (read: expensive).

Earlier models had drum brakes and 73 on calipers are wider, with thicker pads, and have larger bolts. 73 and later calipers are available both new and rebuilt at reasonable prices. Research reveals with shouldered sleeves for the bolts and some metal removal they can be retrofitted.

I ordered 2 new 1973 calipers. (no core charge!) Installation required trimming the sheet metal back plate (easy) and grinding both the inside edge of the caliper and rotor for clearance. I now have 14mm thick pads rather than the previous 10mm ones.

I also noticed that the steering effort required to turn the wheels seemed rather high. Better tight than loose but with no power steering it was hard to turn. Inspection reveals no grease fittings in the ball joints or the tie rod ends, a pet peeve of mine. It seems they were running with 50 yr old grease!

I drilled and tapped the ball joints and tie rod ends and installed grease fittings, nine in all. There are now grease fittings on all but one. I will have to remove the drag link end for room to do the last one.

It took several pumps of grease to fill them. In any case there should be less wear with fresh grease. Mechanic

Have toad, will pull Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Looks real nice .

We've been working on my neighbor's 40 year old F150 4x4 . It's been a project . Had the engine rebuilt by a local machine shop that his uncle owns . Ford 300 inline 6 now has an Offenhouser 4 barrel dual port intake with a 500 cfm Eldebrock carb . Pretty much everything new on the engine . Water pump , carb , distributor , intake , exhaust manifold and system , radiator , all hoses and sensors , fuel pump , power steering pump , plug wires , clutch , converted to serpentine belt..... He's been spending the money Smiler
On the Ford 9 inch rear end , we put in new axle bearings , seals , wheel cylinders and brake pads .
Many other odds and ends including rewiring the dash and replacing the entire dash and instrumental panel .
He is building a custom wood dash and using Jeep CJ gauges and speedometer .

Next will come the body work and paint job . He's owned it for around 15 years and decided it was time to fix it up a little .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My ole Miata toad needs a new top, not a hard job just a pain and much easier as a two man job. So if I bring the Miata and the Gilmer conversion kit to Minnesnowta, I could keep the attendees busy for a couple of days!! I will bring Beer and snacks! Need to find a few hundred for a new top though. Glass or plastic window needs to decided too.

Miata is a 95 so all the parts are readily available.

What would we do without these old vehicles to play with?

There is a Mercedes roadster in a dirt driveway in town, been sitting there for a couple of years, I assume it is broken. Brings a tear to my eye that a grand ole piece like that is just rotting away. If I did not have Nose, a bass boat, Miata, my SRX, and Mercedes 300c to fix I would go and see if the Mercedes Roadster could be bought, or maybe a trade.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2046 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the old Ford 300 six. Bulletproof and strong. Lots of room in the engine bay, too. With all those mods it should be pretty frisky!

Miata top should be fairly easy. If we get it done early before drinks, dinner, drinks, campfire and drinks it might turn out OK. OTOH, it is an "old ragtop!" ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks like the end of this thread.... a bad day for the VW... wack

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Heart breaking, like the loss of a pet!!

Might be a big job, but is it repairable??

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No way. Roof is buckled, interior completely burned all the way forward. panel melted, windshield is cooked. Magnesium engine block burned really bright! confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Very sad. So many questions are swirling in my brain.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The brakes were not dragging, the trans was in neutral and the tires did not blow until the fire burned them.

Best guess is the rear wheel bearing cooked, then caught the brakes then the undercoating on fire. From there it took off. In 15 minutes it was blazing by 20 minutes it was totally on fire.

Fire fighters got it out in about ten minutes, including the magnesium. They did a good job.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
The fire sure did shiver my spine. Thank GOD you saved your BaRTH!

What did the firemen use to put out the magnesium?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
That's terrible!! Your loss is one of all ours worst fears put into reality.

Regards
Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Just saw this and am devastated. Just saw the VW at Nicks and was thinking what a great job you've done on her. Looks like the Barth is unscathed, at least one good thing. Where were you? Looks like two lane so still pretty far north I'd guess. Let us know when you get down here.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post