Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Who Says Nothing Ever Happens in Newburgh, NY?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Who Says Nothing Ever Happens in Newburgh, NY?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
That's the home of our erstwhile Webmaster.

And the scene of recent mind-blowing excitement!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
"Erstwhile," means "former." As far as I know, Dave Bowers is our only "erstwhile" Webmaster. Has N.Y. bill flown the coop too?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Rusty gets pip-slapped by the semantic police! All in good humor I am positive.

Olroy, don't bother looking up pi-slap ROTFLMAO

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Our "current" (now-while) Grand Pooh-Bah, then... Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'd a never brung it up, except "pi-slapped" doesn't begin to describe what happened to me for the same misuse of that word 65 years ago in 12th grade English.

My English teacher that year is one of two in my whole high school & college career whose words ring in my ear when I sit down to write something. One wrong use of that word in a term paper knocked be down from an "A" to a "B"" for the whole dang year in that class.

That, in turn, killed my chances for a college scholarship, & pushed me to enlist in the Army to get the G.I. Bill, Then there were seven years of active duty, marriage, kids, at last college, & ultimately a career in the Federal Civil service. Who knows what might have happened if I got that "A," & got the scholarship?

But I bet it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I take no offense; I wrote several published articles and white papers. No big deal; I was the publications' editor. Should have known better...

I feel your pain - my undergrad thesis was "British Communications Failures During the Night Phase of the Battle of Jutland". After reviewing the original comm logs, I concluded ADM Jellicoe should have listened to ADM Beatty, and more importantly considered important messages from Commodore Goodenough. Only after getting downgraded to an A- did I learn my faculty rep, a Brit, was close friends with Jellicoe's family...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. ~Niels Bohr

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. ~Niels Bohr

and from which he has learned; and strives not to repeat them.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
An expert is a man who has learned more and more about less and less until, ultimately, he knows everthing about nothing.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I thought that learning more and more about less and less until you know everything about nothing was the description of successfully pursuing a PhD.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's it too!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
And of course, there's this.
quote:
Off to work in my armored clad service truck while wearing kevlar coveralls to battle the blight that is now Newburgh...

What's happened? Newburgh was overrun, in my opinion, from the following. Greed from the housing bubble made people who were flipping houses rich by inflating the value of a shell. Buy a shell for 20k (with a straw buyer) and then get a home equity for 300k. Walk away with the difference and let the shell turn to crap - Urban Blight.

Newburgh is now a drop off point for the NYC or Albany drug run and a holding pin for illegal immigration & prostitution for those two areas. Gangs (Bloods and the Latin Kings) took the blight and despair of the housing situation and have made the situation worse.

Unemployment ratcheted up while the gangs were looking for members to hold territory has made some kids into hard core members. Cheaper drugs, because Newburgh is now a source, has further ravaged this once proud city. Because good people have fled, you now have a lower tax base. This translates into a reduction of Police.

While I do not "technically" live in the area that has seen this, we have seen the runoff. Gangs have had shootout within a few miles of my house. Kidnappings and ransacking have happened less than a mile from my house. People who live within a few blocks have family members who have turned to drugs and have had their houses, and their neighbors, burglarized. My house is very well lit at nighttime and I wake up at the slightest noises.

While I sense a deep despair, I am still hopeful. I have to be... I live here.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
But you don't have to live there! Your skills would seem to be very portable and there are a few places with the scenery of Newburg without the crime, income taxes, and still have many Interstates that need your skills. Arkansas, Mississippi and the Carolinas come to mind. And you might be closer to the epicenter of Barth ownership.
Just a thought.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a shame, I had no idea.

Although a decent person like yourself cancels out some of the scum, they always travel in packs because they're scared little creeps underneath the tats!

Perhaps there's a reason your company is on wheels? Florida has lots of wheeled commerce as you know. 75, 95, 4, 10 You'd fit right in here, half my neighbors are from NY originally. It only irritates me during football season Big Grin

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds too familiar. From 1980 till 2010 I lived in Wayne county (greater Detroit) and I watched as things got worse. Crime, traffic and political corruption (our former mayor is still in jail) In the last ten years we have lost (officially) about 12% of the population and it ain't the deadbeats who left. I can show you houses that are still half standing from the riots in 68.

It is distressing to watch and seems too big to fight. My lake house 200 miles north was my getaway and is now my home. I'm glad to say I'm 20 miles from the nearest expressway. I am pleased to be back in a small town where people know and take care of each other. Times are tough but they don't choose crime around there. Good luck to all urbanites...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post