Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

the Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ryegal
posted
well here it go,s I'm going to take my Barth out by myself and try to hook averything up, I'm so nurvous.When my husband and I traveled for 11 years fulltime. He always did the outside and I did the inside, couples should know how to do both. Oh well we will see what happens anyone have some words of wisdom I will read tomarrow night.
Donna

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
As stupid as it sounds I have been making lists.. Being new at this game of RVing I have a couple of lists...I carry a notebook in the compartment by the driver and infact I have 3 spiral books ..One I use as a diary...Noteing milage gas fillups where we go..
One is all work done on the vehicle.. oil changes , belts what ever and the third is dedicated to questions and lists...
I have a list to leave and a list to set up.. I am sure I'll have more lists soon...
I am about to make a list for filling the tanks and then I'll probably have a list for empting tanks... I had my mechanic walk me thru setting up at a site and breaking down from a site... The lists include everything I need to do plus look for... right down to making sure my chairs are properly tied down and the plud is unplugged and the cord stored... Don't forget the antenna.. I can see me pulling out dragging something and I do not want that to happen..The question part I just jot down what ever I am unsure of so I remember what it is next time I find someone who might be able to help me...
Good luck...

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Nothing stupid about making lists. You should see the check list pilots go through before they take the big bird up with a load of passengers. RVs aren't as complicated, but check lists are handy.

I've been doing this for 35 years, so the check list is imprinted in my mind. Still I occasionally forget something. Haven't driven off with the sewer hose dragging yet, nor have I pulled out a power pedestal by forgetting to unplug, but I've seen it happen. My most common error is forgetting to shut off the propane tank, or to lock a storsage compartment.

Nothing looks more stupid than an RV driving down the road, sewer hose dragging, though flapping storage locker doors run a close second. By all means make a check list and use it without embarrassment.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for check lists. I have a separate check list for the toad. There is lots to remember when hooking up a tow car. I witnessed a SOB plowing furrows in a gravel campground road with a Jeep in tow a couple of years ago. Once he hit pavement he realized something was wrong (either in gear or the emergency brake was still on). I know he was embarrassed - I don't know if he flat-spotted the tires.

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that, too, though on pavement, not gravel, and no one was around to see.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Noting the date of your post you have probably already gone on your maiden voyage of setting up & tearing down solo. As a wife & being married to someone who is pretty thorough in most everything he does in life I have found that once he gets in the drivers seat he is ready or thinks he is & I tell him I'm going to do another look around to see if we have overlooked anything. Sometimes we haven't sometimes we have.

Inside:
1)Put everything in it's place
2)Check shower/bath area for items that need to put on the floor
3)Secure all cabinets
4)Secure tv
5)All power is turned off(preferences
differ here)
a)water heater off
b)shore power off(gen power on if a/c
needed
c)auxiliary lighting off
d)anything that flaps, rattles bounces or
is a potential missile securly attached
or stored
e)turn off propane @ tank(our preference)
f)towel under stove cover

Outside:
1) Levels up if you have them
2) chocks out & stored
3) antennae(s) down
4) sewage unplugged caps on, hose stored
5) awning(s) in & secured
6) power cords unplugged stored & locked
7) water unscrewed stored & locked
a) don't forget the pressure valve
that may be attached to the
campground spigot
8) windows closed or where they need to be
for travel
9) all storage compartment doors closed &
10)Any outer articles hanging from or on
top of coach wiggled with your own hand
to be sure they are secure

Posts: 1 | Member Since: 04-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Squeekers list is a fine example. Allow me to add from experience. Climb the ladder and scan the roof, then bend down and scan the underside. Last, walk all the way around the coach before going in, and walk front to back once more before starting her up. Sounds like a lot, but it only takes a few seconds and it's a lot easier than cleaning up a mess of glass or whatever else you might discover. As much as I've learned from the books and especially this site, my real knowledge of my coach comes from LOOKING at it. Slide under it if your able and just spend time looking at the systems and how they are installed and operate. You can't see the roof from the ground so you have to get up there and look. Maybe you can't do anything about it yourself but you know when something has to be done. Open an interior door and see something you have no idea what it is. Look it up! Ask us! Learn! Enjoy!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
After we have driven one coach length away, one of us gets out and walks the site to check for anything not previously noticed. Our dog often throws one of his toys under the coach.

As we drive away, my wife watches the toad to be sure the steering wheel is free.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited April 14, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just kicking the coach tires, or a tire billie (club) is not a bad pre-flight exercise, as you might notice other discrepancies while performing this task.
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
After we have driven one coach length away, one of us gets out and walks the site to check for anything not previously noticed. Our dog often throws one of his toys under the coach.

As we drive away, my wife watches the toad to be sure the steering wheel is free.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited April 14, 2005).]

Posts: 31 | Location: crestline,ohio | Member Since: 02-27-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post