Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Obey the law of the land, Express yourself in a positive way here.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Obey the law of the land, Express yourself in a positive way here.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:

Not one in a million people,

Back on topic, (sorry for the THREAD DRIFT) I created from CHP Officer.
If we all lived by the letter of the law there would be no need for cameras or policing.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I urge members to re-read the ToS, especially this section:

"No profanity or sexual content in any form, it is explicitly left to the discretion of the moderators to decide if something is indecent and thus a violation of the family friendly provisions of the TOS."

Gratuitous injection of related terms violates the ToS.

No doubt members will voluntarily delete violating content soonest.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we all lived by the letter of the law there would be no need for cameras or policing.

It should be obvious that the “need” the cameras fill is not for law enforcement or compliance (which the cameras FAIL to accomplish), but for REVENUE.
In effect, traffic fines are a behavior tax.
If you have the nerve to work hard and make lots of money, you’ll be increasingly taxed for that, as well.
Go higher and higher over the speed limit, you’ll get higher and higher fine (tax).
Earn higher and higher income, you’ll get fined (taxed) at a higher and higher rate.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
In effect, traffic fines are a behavior tax.
I endorse and love your thoughts on behavior tax. Simply put misbehave and get a "FINE" tax. Some folks never learn since they have too much money. These individuals still jeopardize everyone's safety will always continue to misbehave.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion on civil disobedience and Big Brother hmm

I am generally opposed to any device which tries to replace human interaction and judgement; traffic cams, ATM machines, electronic voting machines...

Humans may not be perfect but they can exercise judgement on a case by case basis. Besides, people need to work.

Years ago, if your local cop pulled you over 3 blocks from home for being a bit tipsy, he would often warn you and follow you home. With the dash cams of today, everything is by the book...

If someone else goes into my bank and tries to withdraw from my account, the tellers know me and would never allow it. The ATM doesn't care who uses them and whether the guy behind me has a gun on me...

George Orwell saw it coming in "1984." With traffic cams on every corner in big cities and airports, I guess maybe that ship has already sailed.

Bottom line, behave yourself when you are in the grid!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5169 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Interesting discussion on civil disobedience and Big Brother hmm

I am generally opposed to any device which tries to replace human interaction and judgement; traffic cams, ATM machines, electronic voting machines...

Does that include cruise control, autopilot in the 172, and your automatic coffee maker? java

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Way to go RUSTY! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up cheers Prolly not as Steve and I are selective in the automation category.
Great point!.
Happy to have your HOME back is some order and it seems like your brain is back on track? It appears you have weathered the storm of IRMA and whatever other crosses you had to deal with? cheers That comment is the best comparison in this thread.
Mark your Behavior tax is second. I do not know what I would do if I came across a CHPO coming on to me.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
First, we are a society based on the rule of law. I have lived 80 years and over that period of time, have observed a trend toward disobeying various laws based on whether one agrees with them or not. When members of a society decide which laws they will obey and which ones they will ignore, we are on a road that leads to the destruction of our country.
Second, while all these cameras do bring in revenue and have some effect on enforcement and obeying of laws, there is another reason they are there. Steve touched on it in his reference to '1984'. Our governments, local, state, federal, want to keep track of what each of us does. The data collected on our 'privacy' is of much more concern that anything else in our society.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post