Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
More Gud Nooz: Sirius XM is in Sirius/Serious Financial Straits

If you pay Howard Stern $100,000,000/year, Oprah, $55,000,000, and $30,000,000 to Martha Stewart, that cuts your bottom line by $185,000,000. But no doubt, those personalities are "worth it" Big Grin.

I guess with $3,250,000,000 of debt, that's insignificant, but read about it here.

Note the comment that much could end up in the hands of EchoStar: Read, "Dish Network", already having its own difficulties (see prior post).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"You Can't Do Better Than Sears"

Or worse...

Scumbags come in many forms.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable!! And just think--this is not some lunatic conspiracy theory. This is real.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A Bunch of Patches from Microsoft this Coming Update Tuesday

The biggest collection since October, '08, and six of the ten patches are "critical". MS apps across the board are involved

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Another Mac Attack - OS X

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Another Mac Attack, MacCinema/OS-X

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
MS "Patch Tuesday" Fix For IE Vulnerability

Here, and mentioned in Bill N Y's post.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Firefox 3.5 Vulnerability

Read about it Here

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,
I was doing my weekly security updates & scans started with adaware got a malware notice. win32.trojandropper.delf in cwindows/system file. I It is a 10 on the critical list. I put it in quarantine & then ran a malware update & scan & it didn't detect it I assume because it is in quarantine. Should I remove it from the adaware quarantine or do something else. I haven't had any problems yet although Jim thinks the computer is running a little faster since I put it in quarantine.
Thanks for any input.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Quarantine is safe - no need to delete, unless you need drive space.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mozilla has Released patched Firefox 3.5.1

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"Patch Tuesday" from Microsoft is approaching; several vulnerabilities will be addressed.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Take This with a Grain of Salt

Those of you following this thread know that Bill Gates and I are BFFs, so I try to protect Bill's creds...but IE8 TOPS the list for effective browser security. This, of course, assumes one downloads and installs updates and patches...and NSS's tests don't cover everything.

Elsewhere, in other n00z, yet another browser may, in the distant future, hit the streets. This one does have creds. How many browsers are needed? We have IE, Opera, Chrome, Firefox, and others. But RockMelt is worth watching as it approaches.

iolo has released v9.0.3 of System Mechanic; no doubt all of you DID BUY v8.0 at Wal-Mart earlier this year for the bargain price of <$29.95 for 2 PCs, which means this is a FREE UPGRADE.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Heartland Security Hacked

Why should this concern me?

Check out this list of banks/credit unions known to have customers' records accessed.

The perps have been indicted.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Windows XP, Vista, and 7 in a Gaming Comparo

This will be only passing interest to most, but there are theories that Win7 will surpass Vista (not hard to do - XP already does).

However, PC games are the toughest apps with which an OS has to cope, with video editing and composition about the same.

This article is the first major, reliable comparison of the three OSs (with their 32-bit and 64-bit versions) that I've yet come across.

Some things to note:

1. DX9, DX10, etc., are Microsoft facilities that can enhance the features and performance of gameplay.
2. SLI is "Scalable Link Interface", nVidia's method of linking two or more video cards to provide more graphics power. ATI calls its version "Cross Fire". ATI and nVidia are the two 500 lb. gorillas in the videocard industry.

This is NOT something to evaluate whether one should contemplate changing Win XP to Win7. One of the issues always conveniently swept under the rug is the compatibility of peripherals. If Win7 drivers are not forthcoming for one's printer, scanner, digital camera, videocam, etc., one could find that item useless. There are workarounds for some hardware (mainly imaging equipment), but printers could be rendered useless.

Another major issue is that some "legacy" (a euphemism for "older stuff") software may not run.

So this link is posted only for general interest.

Most folks would not be well-served by changing from WinXP to Win7.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke