Tools
Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, this isn't good news for bill h and Jim and Tere.

bill h's Yahoo mail account may have been compromised, the most likely cause, since the malware detectors found nothing to suggest that the whole computer had been hijacked. Nevertheless, one should run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and if you have, System Mechanic's malware detector and its registry cleanup.

Jim and Tere should run those also, as rogue websites are often used to exploit a browser vulnerability and download malicious code.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I have System Mechanic I think SM9 but can't find a malware detector in it.

Any ideas?
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
They've changed it in v9. However, go to All-In-One Tools, PC Security

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
"You Can't Do Better Than Sears"

Or worse...

Scumbags come in many forms.

The FTC Final Consent Order was issued last week, along with a few more details around Sears' intrusions.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The IRS Won't email You!

Major virus being conveyed by emails faked as coming from Internal Revenue.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
God,
I love my MAC !

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 374 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Worth a Look: Microsoft Security Essentials

A first look review is here.

It's free and effective.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'll Say It Again

Those pop-up or other ads offering to scan your PC for malware, are in fact, malware. As, usually, are those advertised on TV.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
God,
I love my MAC !

Macs are the fastest computers to be hacked at the annual security convention...when they become more mainstream they will be targeted more and exploited just like windows has been.
mac hacked

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's been a lot more activity for hacking Macs.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
LED TVs - what they is and what they ain't - and why you should consider one anyway:

One would think that if a TV was listed as "LED", the picture would be created by millions of tiny LEDs (light-emitting diodes); The LCD TV's use backlighted "liquid crystal display". (Forget plasma - it's the technology of the past).

However, LED TVs ain't. What they are is LCD TVs with backlight provided by LEDs. Heretofore, the LED TVs were backlighted by CCFLs (cold cathode fluorescent lights).

So, is there a benefit to LED/LCD TVs vs. CCFL/LCD TVs? Actually, there is. The LED TVs can produce better contrast, and more importantly, are 40% more energy efficient than CCFL/LCDs. And LEDs as backlights have significantly longer service life than CCFLs.

When I was at Nick and Donna Cagle's last week, we went to Sam's Club. There were 52" LED/LCD TVs from Sony and Samsung at ~$1900. Here locally, the CCFL LCD 52" TVs are $1600. Is the $300 difference worth it?

I'd spend the extra money for the LED TV.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd spend the extra money for the LED TV.

I agree with ya for shore. Cathodes require inverter boards which fail pretty regularly not to mention the life of the light itself. Getting one worked on is never an easy affair.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
FDIC email Scam

Facebook Phishing Scam

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My ISP's spam filter has short-stopped the FDIC scam a half-dozen times already, & also a rash of other virus-laden stuff. The volume of infected material & spam has increased notably in recent months; probably an average of 3-4 virus-infected spams a day, & 20 +/- ordinary spams. I don't open anything on which I don't recognize the sender.I even get stuff that purports to be from my own e-mail address.

I wonder - is it time to go through the rigmarole of changing my address & notifying my personal correspondents?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder - is it time to go through the rigmarole of changing my address & notifying my personal correspondents?

If my ISP could do no better than that I would change email services. You can go with a 3rd party like MSN, Yahoo or Gmail and not be tied to whether you ever change ISPs or not. I really like my gmail address. I get ZERO spam. yes you read correct. ZERO, nada, zilch. Its almost lonely sometimes. Keep you ISP email for when you need to sign up for something that may sell your email address (even walmart has done this) to spammers.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30