Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dumb Down Your Smart TV

Many smart TVs have tracking (and worse) software installed. Go here for how to disable.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Uninstall Quicktime NOW!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/20...me.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Few recent PCs have this installed.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
One more reason to use Mac's!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uninstall Quicktime NOW!

I did not even know I had Quicktime. I found it in programs and features, under settings. Quicktime is gone and I emptied the trash.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hot Laptops...

I notice a lot of folks with their laptops, well, directly on their laps. (I don't know where they put their "notebooks"... Cool).

Anyway, since I long ago upgraded from my Panasonic Toughbook (1.5GHz Pentium) with its passive cooling (no fans, and cool bottom temps), heat is an issue.

Not only is setting the laptop directly on the lap usually uncomfortable, but part of he reason is that the fan intakes get blocked - so the heat escalates.

I got ⅛" foamboard (a posterboard on steroids) at WallyWorld and get two laptop mounts out of each. The foam insulates the laptop, and its rigidity keeps the fan intake clear. I just put the laptop on the foamboard, and it's comfortable.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Page 1

Of the world-wide web:

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Android Phone Users - Read This:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37005226

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Got Chrome?

Hints and Tips:

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow...aign=zergnet_1091544

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Question for the tech G33k,

First let me point out I did not read all 32 pages of this useful information, The first few posts were useful but some were dated. I do read the thread when it is in the "Recent Topics" I am short on time now. Here is the problem. EVERYTIME not occasionally when I go to Photobucket, account my computer locks up. Not right away, but during some browsing. At some point sooner or later if STOPS and freezes.

I am running windows 10, Home
Intel CPU 3258 @ 3.20 GHz
RAM 7.87GB usable
64-Bit Operating System, x64 based processor
1.61 Terabyte Hard drive is only 15% full

Is my operating system too small to handle all the pop ups thrown out there. Photo bucket generates 2 pop up windows every time I log on there. It does not matter if it is my account or Bill's account. They cover the entire page and need to be closed. They are not blocked by the pop up blocker for some reason. I might get to view two or three pictures and then have to close and open Photobucket again, because Photobucket is frozen.

On the other hand when navigating Barthmobile.com everything runs smoothly. Due note if Photobucket is running in the background, Barthmobile seems to slow down.

So does my computer need updated? Do I need more RAM? What is going on here? How should I deal with the Photobucket problem? Art there just some settings that need adjusted?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Have you tried disabling popups? Some of the sneaky Internet scoundrels can get around it, but it may help. Done differently depending on the browser, but instructions should be available in the browser help.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A 64-bit OS can handle more RAM (32-bit OSs are limited to 4GB). If an app has the need for more memory than is available, it will store the excess in the Page File on the HDD.

This sounds like your issue, so bump up to at least 16GB. Even if your mobo has 4 RAM slots, it's preferable to replace the current RAM with 2x8GB, rather than adding 2x4GB.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
8 GB of usable memory should not result in paging to disk.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
True, but we don't know the overhead.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Vizio: Translates to "We're Watching You!"

https://www.ftc.gov/news-event...t=link&ICID=ref_fark

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
SERIOUS MS Word Exploit

See here.

If you have MS Word (ANY version) on your computer, this is a MUST READ!!!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke