Tools
Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A new problem/vulnerability, for multiple versions of Microsoft Word, here.

For simplicity, DO NOT open any .doc attachment in email. And this means any from friends, because, frankly, they're probably clueless, and could be forwarding pain to you.

And note that Microsoft seems to be ignoring vulnerabilities in Word.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Feel the BUZZ! Or not: Microsoft Vista was released today, and I fielded a few questions locally about whether someone should upgrade to Vista.

I can't think of any reasons to say, "Yes."

1. It's a new operating system (OS), and it'll come with bugs

2. Apart from eye candy and the implementation of DX-10 (of interest only to intense gamers - and no games using DX-10 have been released), there's nothing offered.

3. Although Vista is touted to be "much more secure" than Win XP, an identical boast was made when XP was released.

4. Despite being somewhat compact, Vista is nevertheless a resource hog, although many of its features can be suppressed to run decently on older PCs. But if that's the case, why bother to upgrade?

5. The EULA (End-User's License Agreement) doesn't favor the consumer. Currently (and Microsoft has waffled on many provisions of the Eula, and it's still not cast in bronze), the Vista user could find features disabled in the future, even though they were present at installation. An example is the ability to make backup CDs or DVDs. If the issuer of a DVD you could copy originally decided to revoke that right, Vista would see to it (even though this right is legally enacted).

6. As mentioned above, Vista will be a fluid OS, and what you buy may not be what you end up with. And it's really stupidly overpriced.

The sad thing is that many new PCs will ship with Vista installed. However, if I were still building custom PCs, none of mine would...

Bottom line: Spend your money on your family or your Barth. Or me! Hasta la Vista, Baby!

Late addendum: 7. Many OEMs have stated that they WILL NOT provide Vista drivers for older peripherals - so things like printers may become boat anchors....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rusty's assessment. I will only get Vista when I am forced to by buying a new laptop.

And then I will look for hooks that would disable their new interface if at all possible. It is completely unnecessary for my somputer use.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
More Good Nooz!

That article relates how long it took before a nekkid PC running Windoze took to get infected by virii and turned into a zombie: 8 seconds!

That's enough incentive to get that firewall and antivirus installed - links at the top of this thread...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The more I hear about PCs the gladder I am to have a Mac and an ISP with a good spam & anti-virus filter.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Firefox Pop-Up Blocker has a security flaw; read about it here.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I have never seen my wife so mad because she is smart I generally am not. I updated to Vista, so far all is good and the new windows mail has he best spam blocker I have ever seen. But, it won't work well with Itunes and the biggest thing is that it doesn't work with my favority intellectual game Bubblet.

I love the interface and since I work with a lot of images I find the way that in views the folders great.. I will keep you up to date. I do have 1 gig memory but I need 2.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
I reside in Geezer (Sun) City, TX and our Computer Club has had Vista installed on one PC in our open-to-the-public-for general-use Computer Lab for a couple of months as a "test" (??) -we have a bunch of retired IBM types and a plethora of Dell sons/daughters- and the user response has been favorable, esp among those who are new to computing. The geek types -some of whom are still holding on to their "modified" Windows 95 programs at home!- are unanimous in warning of impending Vista doom. The prevailing judgement seems to be: wait six months till it's debugged, unless you are purchasing your first (ever!)computer whereon it is okay.

"Your browser is you"......Salvatore Linux

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
SO far, the major issue has been device drivers, "devices" being things in or attached to the PC. Oddly enough, Vista includeds DX10, a Great Leap Forward in graphics processing. The one video card that can run DX10 won't usually run under Vista...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Itunes drivers don't work with Vista--yet--Apple is supposed to have a patch in a couple of weeks.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I just had bought a big shot HP all in one printer, scanner etc. etc. It works but only with Microsoft generic drivers. HP said they will have something soon.

On Itunes I read on a Itunes BBS that if you de-authorized you computer, then delete the software and re-install it, that would do it.. I feel dumb, I de-authorized the computer and then delete the software. huh??? but I did it, made no diff still doesn't let me play tracks I bought on Itunes.. I had to say it but I think I am going back to buying CD's I am tired of Gates and Jobs controlling stuff I bought.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Get a Mac & then you're only controlled by Jobs who is more user-friendly than Gates. Of course, I'm a fine one to talk, I haven't yet succumbed to the iPod. I still have about a dozen years of CDs to load into the computer & edit.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Just an interesting statistic. Last year apple sold just over 5 million macs.

There were in excess of 200 million PC's sold. Bill Gates sold over 220 million copies of windows world wide.

Did you know that Fed Ex delivers 547 million packages a year.

The US Postal service delivers 2.2 billion packages a year, and this doesn't include letters, magazines, etc. etc. My Brother in-law who is about to retire from the USPS told me that one day when I asked about private mail delivery. In total the USPS delivers 202 billion pieces weithing a total of 24 billion pounds. This has dropped 6 billion pieces in the last 3 years. Must be email.

http://www.usps.com/history/anrpt03/html/statistics1.htm

Kind of like comparing Apple and Microsoft.

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
And when you want to be sure it gets there overnight, you use Fed Ex. A bit pricier than USPS, but also a bit more certain.

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"The US Postal service delivers 2.2 billion packages a year..."

This cynic says: 300 million people in the US of A. So each man, woman, and child receives -on average- 7+ packages every year (2.2 billion is 2200 thousand million - I think) through the Postal Service. I find that really hard to believe, as I know of very few businesses that use USPS delivery. Is this some creative accounting PR by our public servants?

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post