Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I clicked on rustys pic -properties & the
Image Properties window comes up

I see you have something called avatar, instead of photobucket.
Should I take another approach like that?
Tere

PS I see that "Unknown cache" means if the pic, any pic is not up, or coming up, it is unknown.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"Avatar" is just the photo's name. The photo appearing in the left column (a smaller version of the one in your signature) is your "avatar", and actually, it could have any name, as the avatar photo's presence is by a link to a particular image, in your case one different than the sig image. The website software used for the forum reduces the avatar photo automatically reduces its size to fit the constraints.

Note that the image I sent to Bill N Y for my sig line is only 22Kb, whereas yours is 450+Kb. You could replace your photobucket image (or ask Bill N Y to) by shrinking the size (more .jpg compression) - that would help the download.

You could also try deleting the image in your sig line; that would speed things up.

"Unknown cache" generally means that the browser is looking for that image stored on you computer (as a cookie) rather than downloading it each time the browser makes a call for it. However, that cache (cookie) should be rebuilt when you again go to a page with one of your posts on it.

I presume you have cookies enabled on your browser...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Note that the image I sent to Bill N Y for my sig line is only 22Kb, whereas yours is 450+Kb. You could replace your photobucket image (or ask Bill N Y to) by shrinking the size (more .jpg compression) - that would help the download.
I have compressed his images. Maybe this will help.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, reducing the size of the picture appears to have solved the problem. Also, we regularly clear our private data/history/cookies/temp files so this makes initial recreation of the cookie longer, I guess?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I read where CCleaner, Mailwasher Pro, & Zone Alarm are suggested as protection for computer. I would like to know if anyone thinks I should add to what I have on my computer.

-AVG free 8.0
-Adaware 2007
-Spybot s&d
-Windows Defender
-Spyware Blaster

I use the Windows firewall

WEEKLY CHORES

-Update & scan all the above software listed
-System disk cleanup of temporary internet files
online & off line
-clear private data
-clear history
-Defrag

We had a computer meltdown & possible risk of theft in the past & we back up important files, pics etc. to a stick.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We use copper.net as our isp, browser is firefox. I sometimes have to use int exp as browser to install some software. I have IE 6 & SP2, I have not updated to IE7 & won't update to SP3 based on some of the previous posts. Any suggestions on installing IE7?
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
IE7 has security features IE6 doesn't have; The only "disadvantage to IE7 i the toolbar is laid out less conveniently, IMHO. Firefox is fine, but the latest version (3?) has serious vulnerabilities.

Zone Alarm is much more robust than the Windows firewall. I also turned on the hardware firewall in my router, which is only available if one has a network and connects to the 'net through it.

I switched to Avast on my laptop, because AVG v8 corrupted one of my apps, and the rollback to v7 was unsuccessful.

All the other utilities mentioned are excellent.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I am running XP Pro, spk2, and was on a satellite system when I tried IE7. I found that it spent an awful lot of bandwidth trying to seeming ask MS if I wanted to do something, and what it would be If I did want to do something. I ended up getting FAP'ed two months in a row, without doing anything unusual. I then uninstalled and went back to IE6 and bandwidth use went back to normal for me. I later installed One Care Live and found that it also spent a lot of time telling someone lots of stuff. I had to reinstall OS to get it off my system, as it would not uninstall. All a learning thing. My two cents.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One Care Live has pretty much flopped - and one of the many reasons is the one you cited.

I haven't experienced any of the problems like yours with IE7, but I ran it for several weeks on PC #3 before upgrading the other two.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone,

I guess this means we are all guinea pigs no matter how we look at it.
Jack, thanks for your input on IE7. I think I'll wait another 3-6 mo before I download it. Wait for them to get some more of the bugs out.

Rusty, I'll check out Zone Alarm. How do I know what version of Firefox I have? How do I get off automatic updates with them?

What does CCleaner do? Pro's, con's?

Thanks again for all the input, it really helps to have tech support/suggestions at my fingertips. Barthmobile is so much easier to correspond with than the computer peeps. Plus I have dial up & everything takes forever to accomplish.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mo' luv from the Boyz in Redmond: Lotsa patches from MS next week, here.

quote:
I guess this means we are all guinea pigs no matter how we look at it.
Jack, thanks for your input on IE7. I think I'll wait another 3-6 mo before I download it. Wait for them to get some more of the bugs out.

Jim, somehow I missed your post...

quote:
Rusty, I'll check out Zone Alarm. How do I know what version of Firefox I have? How do I get off automatic updates with them?

The usual (and this applies to virtually every application) way of checking verson is to go to "Help", scroll down to "About", and that should reveal the Secret.

quote:
What does CCleaner do? Pro's, con's?

CCleaner is a sanitized version of its Real Name, which is "Crap Cleaner". It used to be nearly indispensable (and totally free), but IMHO, the only feature that makes it worth having is the Registry Cleaner, and I prefer the reasonably-priced System Mechanic instead. I've used it since v1.5, and despite a few hiccups, each version is more powerful and predictable than its predecessor.

SysMech is a full-featured app, and the only thing that sux is its defragmenting routine (very slow) and its Internet cleanup tool, which has to be disciplined from the default.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Patch Tuesday from Microsoft. Usually I don't specifically mention this, as most users automatically download and install updates. However, today's includes a critical vulnerability patch for IE 5.1 to 7.x, ALL operating systems.

Also available will be an update to MS' Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Firefox v3 - five hours in the wild and already a major vulnerability; this, sadly also affects FF v2.

Park it for now, and use IE7, Opera, or another browser. While the vulnerability is limited to users doing things they ordinarily shouldn't, an inadvertant exposure could be unkind to that user's peecee...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From the "So What's New Department?": Many users want the Gummint to regulate the Internet. Is it just me, or is this an indicator that individuals wish (again) to cede personal judgement and accountability to mindless, nameless, wretched bureaucrats?

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Firefox 3 - NRFPT (G33kspe4k: Not Ready for Prime Time).

IIRC, there are Barthers using FF; see here.

My recommendation has always been to avoid new browsers for at least three months, and new OSs for two years. Shovelware, anyone?

BTW, ever wonder what a g33k looks like? How about Asia Carrera, one of the more accomplished G33ks around. As is Kim Comando...anyone suddenly got a yen to build a peecee? Big Grin Or overclock RAM and a CPU?

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke