Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty, What about internet explorer 11. I decline the use of Chrome everyday. Google asks every time I do a google search if I want Chrome. I do not see any reason to "down grade" to Chrome, or Edge.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I occasionally use E11 (Chrome doesn't allow Javascript, E11 does), but vulnerabilities in Chrome tend to be disclosed and patched faster than E11.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
GIMP 2.10.0 Ready for Download

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), probably the most powerful freeware competitor to Photoshop, has its latest version up:

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

With the load of features and power equalling or exceeding payware programs, comes an extremely steep learning curve.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Answer is: "42"

Maybe in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but not in Adobe Acrobat. The Answer is: "47"

47 vulnerability flaws have been discovered in Acrobat Reader.

Load Reader/Help/Check for Updates.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Grab Acronis B/U software, 3 device, $19.99 after rebate! BUT ONLY THROUGH 8/9/2018

https://www.newegg.com/Product...16832200141#fullInfo

https://images10.newegg.com/up...l30Aug0918wy47us.pdf

I've used Acronis for years, finally decided to upgrade the older version. This is one of the very best B/U software on the market (and it now includes ransomware protection.)

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tired of Google's Plain White Screen?

Google has updated to v69.x, While this adds many minor features, it completely eliminates the formerly included Flash plugin. However, many site that use Flash will offer reinstalling it. So far it appears that those reinstalls work only on that site.

But you can eliminate the boring Google opening screen by picking wallpaper from a fair number offered by Google.

On the far right of the masthead are 3 dots. Click on them to open the options drop-down menu, choose "Settings", then "Appearance", then "Themes" and the catalog will appear.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 Update 1809 Doesn't Get A "10"

Lost data and worse:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/...ntel-driver-warning/

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
It appears that the update has removed images from Barthmobile. There are no avatars for our members. On the top of some forum pages there is not a picture either.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is a PC thing. The emoticon choices are missing also. And people wonder why I'm partial to Macs.

PhotoBucket has been down since 6 PM last night. Did they get zinged with this too?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Photobucket is down world wide, started last night with sporadic issues but now it appears no one can reach photobucket. Doesn't appear to be a windows problem, maybe photobucket got hacked. This will be a problem, as more and more become attached to cloud storage. Hope there is a backup!

Avatars like SteveVW and Rusty are up because they are on Barthmobile, but mine is down because it is on photobucket. That will change!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting hacked can happen to any sight. I do not know what happened to Photobucket. I am sure there will be comments and rumors. It could been a simple power outage or even a little mouse chewing wires. The Photobucket is back up an running.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I doubt it was a power outage or a mouse. (Other than maybe one in someone's hand, attached to a computer!) Computer

The site was down world wide for well over 24 hours. It will be interesting to hear the feedback. The implications could be enormous for PB. Since they elected to take their users hostage last year and charge them the $400 annual fee they are now obligated to provide their services and are liable for loss of data. If they were still a free site they would have no problems. They can now be sued from all over the world for any data losses and damages from it. hmm

After pulling that pricing stunt last year, I'd bet there are plenty of people who would like to trash them for pay back. wack

There is surprisingly little mention of it on the web, no explanations yet. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly agree Steve. PB like most other "cloud" services have multiple servers/storage and the paths are determined similar to cell phones. Shortest path to the user, one server goes down will not generally effect the others unless the site was hacked or system wide maintenance OR?

What I found most disturbing about this outage was complete lack of information as to why it was down and and eta of when it would be back up. Reading the comments, many many businesses use PB for their daily business transactions. The financial impact could be huge during this outage.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Latest info from PB:
Photobucket outage

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Notice that PB said the shut down was caused by their "data center provider".
Most cloud centers do not own the servers, they lease space around the world from these data center hubs.

The data centers are NOT Microsoft Window based servers.

The larger the cloud use becomes and in particular any cloud server used for financial data or personal data the more likely it will be hacked.

Competition among cloud providers will also be something to watch. They can not do it for free and there will be fall out, mergers or acquisitions!

At least for us PB is back up for now!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater