Barthmobile Portal
N00Z from teh G33k

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6141087061/m/6561018012

04-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Kevin
N00Z from teh G33k
Interesting post Rusty. I have been getting email from folks I know that do not email me. The emails did contain word documents, but I did not open the documents. I did not open them because these folks do not sent me email to me. Could the virus be able to send mail that looks like it came from folks in your address book?
04-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Rusty
The malware could be sent from anyone, in your address book or not (I've had a few folks in mine get hacked, sending me spam.)

AFAIK, only MS Word is susceptible; documents opened by Open Office or Libre Office are not.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
04-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Kevin
quote:
MS Word is susceptible

I managed to get my Microsoft word 2000 edition to operate on windows 10. I wonder if Microsoft is behind this, since folks like me do not want to pay Microsoft annually for a word processor?

I did find the email suspicious, as it was from a member on here. This member would not normally email me. The hack email was also sent to several address besides mine.

GREAT catch Rusty. You saved me a BIG headache.
04-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Steve VW
Will this affect Mac users?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
04-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Rusty
So far, that's unclear, but from what I read about the exploit, it infects Windoze, but not iOS.

Added 6:21PM The exploit uses the Win OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) feature; I doubt that iOS's equivalent would be vulnerable (yet).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
04-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Rusty
MS Admits Flaws in IE - but doesn't elaborate

Here (scroll down)

MS seems to be evasive on this flaw, but it suggests use of one domain name to inject malware into another (which leads me to believe MS really hasn't isolated this one).

Anyway, my suggestion is to do what I've done: Altering the firmware in my WiFi router to use Google's DNS (Domain Name Server - 'net addresses are actually IP addresses in the numerical format ###.###.###.###, not names). DNS servers look up the IP address from the name. WiFi routers come with a default DNS installed, whose provider is rarely disclosed. I figure Google watches its DNS servers carefully.

Anyway, if you want to earn the first tick on your Geek Merit Badge, change the DNS servers' IPs to primary 8.8.8.8, secondary 8.8.4.4. And, yes, this will require your intrusion into your router's innards. Those with an integrated modem/router are probably out of luck, unless you have an external router connected - which is what I have.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

05-09-2017, 02:00 AM
Rusty
Mac DVD Ripper Rips Off

https://arstechnica.com/securi...ty-backdoor-instead/

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

05-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Rusty
The Many Faces of Facebook

Enjoy how valuable you are (but don't expect to share in that!)

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39947942

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

05-27-2017, 01:59 AM
Rusty
Win 7, 8, & Vista Filename Alert

NEVER open a filename $MFT, as this format is reserved for the NTFS file system (Most of you have ditched FAT16 and FAT32).

http://www.pcmag.com/news/3539...4-character-filename

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

05-30-2017, 12:12 AM
Rusty
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Win 7, 8, & Vista Filename Alert

More on the above...IE is apparently an access point. Use Chrome.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2...o_bsod_windows_7_81/

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

05-30-2017, 01:03 AM
ccctimtation
Wonder how long it will take Firefox to fix and can Chrome become vulnerable?
05-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Rusty
Chrome, no, because it rejects malformed requests (in this case filenames reserved only for the host computer).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

06-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Rusty
Fireball Malware

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2...250_million_pcs_macs

Preventive measures don't appear to have been developed.

Some removal tools would include Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware (plagued with popups and solicitations to upgrade), and Malware Bytes. Spybot has a convenient "immunize" feture. CCleaner may also work.

Of course, all Barthmobile members have already installed these apps, along with System Mechanic.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

06-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Rusty
Router Hacking

In the past few weeks, several brands of router have been exposed as susceptible to hacking, LinkSys and D-Link among them.

Today, my manufacturer (Netgear) released a firmware update to minimize vulnerability, even though Netgear has never been on the list.

A relatively complete list of routers vulnerable to the CIA's CherryBlossom hack is here:
https://qz.com/1008273/complet...o-cia-hacking-tools/

I suggest everyone update the firmware for their routers and visit https://www.lifewire.com/how-t...eless-router-2487654 and implement at least some of the suggestions.

If you aren't comfortable in the innards of your router, maybe now's the time to do Geek.

Note that cable modem/routers' innards generally can't be accessed, but the counterpoint is that the vendor should keep the firmware updated. The SSID (Network name) and password on those are usually complex enough to resist casual hacking.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

12-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Kevin
Is there a work around for the Christmas lights breaking sound for members running Apple products Rusty?