Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Thanks for mentioning Intego. wasn't aware of it. went to cnet and read about it just now. might be prudent for me to spend $39.95 on it.
However, since my wife and I started using these old eMacs a few years ago, we have NONE of the problems our friends often have with Windows systems. There are a few things that have crashed my Safari (browser), but rarely. When it has happened, it was only a minor inconvenience. Likewise, we are each delighted with our (original) iPads. SO MUCH easier to use than the Compaq and IBM laptops I used to have. Support from Apple, by phone or in-store, has been great.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
January 28 is Data Privacy Day.

And this page may be enlightening...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Smartphone?

Something to ponder

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
In a similar vein: NYT: Protecting a Cellphone Against Hackers

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Facebook Scam!

Check this.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So You Deleted Your Facebook Photos?

Really?

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
More Mac Fun (For Trojan Lovers)

See here.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Google Privacy Policies - Change March 1, 2012

Google will change many data-collection, tracking, and privacy policies 3/1/12.

You may wish to take a look at this page for ways to disable Google's keeping records o your search requests.

Note: The settings mentioned do NOT affect the history in your browser.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rusty,'preciate it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Google Privacy Policies - Change March 1, 2012

Google will change many data-collection, tracking, and privacy policies 3/1/12.

You may wish to take a look at this page for ways to disable Google's keeping records o your search requests.

Note: The settings mentioned do NOT affect the history in your browser.

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Can be downloaded free. See here for an overview of the installation process and a few pix of screens.

The ISO download can be a bit fiddly to install for some users. So a 5 Mb installer is available here.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
System Mechanic 50% Discount

I'm a long-time user of System Mechanic (since v1.5; now it's on v8.5), and occasionally get special offers from the company, iolo. If you've been following this thread, you'll know I really like this app.

This link takes you to the page to download System Mechanic for $24.95. You get 50% off, I get $5 Amazon credit.

Check Sam's or Walmart, because occasionally I've bought SM for less than the special offers.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Virus Alert!

If you receive an email with the subject "Here it is", "Here you have", or "Just for you", DO NOT OPEN!.

So far, the internet mail services Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, and Gmail are the most susceptible.

Details at Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp )

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Just for clarity, isn't it the case that opening the offensive email cannot do anything? Don't you need to also open and execute a file to get any virus through email?

I understand that you might as well just delete any suspect email, but to lower the paranoia associated with the internet (or increase it as the case may be) I thought I would try to get clarity on this situation.

Additionally, wouldn't any good virus protection warn you if kept updated? It's been years since I've gotten any virus and I have believed its due to the several times a day automated updates done by my Avast anti-virus-ware (free anti-virus I'll add).

Just curious hmm

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Snopes blurb says merely to open it can cause it to execute. This might be a feature of webmail, where opening an item can cause it to execute.

But you raise a good point, to which I don't now have the answer.

Anyway, I use my ISP's POP, and nothing even gets downloaded until I've screened it with Mailwasher Pro.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for clarity, isn't it the case that opening the offensive email cannot do anything? Don't you need to also open and execute a file to get any virus through email?

Good question Corey.... I would think that it could be "embedded" into an e-mail just as a picture or spreadsheet or whatever, then depending on your mail server it could be run....I think a decent anti-vir program (updated regularly) should catch it before executing/opening it but thenn I did watch an interesting program tonight that was discussing our next biggest threat in this country and it was unanimously agreed that it will be viral...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post