Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Comments on Avast! Antivirus v5.x

I upgraded to Avast! v5.1x via the automatic update feature, and it caused problems in my smaller laptop.

Recovering from that, I unistalled v4.x using the Control Panel, then downloaded the latest version and installed it.

The "enhanced features" caused issues trying to get into the chatroom. My solution wass to right-click the Avast! icon on the taskbar and open the user interface, then to Real Time Shield/Web Shield and turn off.

There's always a possibility that one of the other shield programs I use conflicts with this feature of Avast!, so you may not encounter the problem with the chatroom.

And you might employ the auto-update feature without issues, but it took awhile to restore the 2 PCs on which it caused problems, and each required a different technique. Neither was fun.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Faster and More Secure DNS

"Domain Name System" is the web utility refenced by your network router to translate URLs (Uniform Resource Locator), like https://www.barthmobile.com to a usable address (always in IP - Internet Protocol - form such as http://123.456.789.012). Routers' installation programs come with a DNS server address but default, but they are of unknown security.

Google's DNS Server is constantly monitored for spoof sites and other issues.

Don't attempt this if you're unwilling to tap into your router's innards! And if you don't know how to open the router configuration utility, you should probably ignore this post.

Anyway, change the DNS Server settings to 8.8.8.8 (primary), 8.8.4.4 (secondary); those are Google's DNS server addresses.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Does Facebook "Friend" you?

Possibly not.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Micro$oft Patch Tuesday 2/8/11

Big 'un

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
DON'T UPDATE THAT WINDOWS PHONE 7!!!

Especially if it's a Samsung!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You're About Get LOTS of NEW FRIENDS!

On Facebook...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lost the Chime in Chat?

Backgrade to Adobe Flash Player 10.1. 10.2 loses the chime.

Go here for uninstaller, download and run.

Then here to install 10.1

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Today is "World Backup Day"

Here

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BIG Microsoft Patch Tuesday (Today)!

But of course, I don't have to remind you because you have Automatic Updates enabled, doncha', Bippy!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mac OS Malware - Don't Expect Help from Apple

Expect, instead, this.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Lost the Chime in Chat?

Backgrade to Adobe Flash Player 10.1. 10.2 loses the chime.

Go here for uninstaller, download and run.

Then here to install 10.1

I'm not sure, but I think the "stealth" exits from the chat (where someone is shown leaving without ever entering) may have the same cause.

If you're suffering issues with chat, try the above procedure.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Flash 10.3 Seems to work OK

I upgraded yesterday, and the chatroom is normal with this version.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
What does "roll-up of all previously released updates" mean?

It says 32 bit Edition, I have the 64 bit Operation System?

I do have Microsoft Office 2010.

OK to update?

Good Luck with your move.
Tere

My Critical Important Update Request from Microsoft:

Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2510690) 32-bit Edition
Download size: 316.9 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2510690) 32-bit Edition contains new updates which improve security, performance, and stability. Additionally, the SP is a roll-up of all previously released updates.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510690

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"Rollup" means that previous updates have been consolidated into one Service Pack. Had a user not installed all prior updates, the SP would bring the app up to date.

At http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510690 is the 64-bit SP for Office 2010 as well as the 32-bit. Apparently you have the 32-bit version, which (also apparently) runs on a 64-bit OS. You need to use the SP for whichever Office version you have.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post