Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

What do these third party defraggers do that the MS defrag doesn't? Just curious as it always seemed a pretty simple utility.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The MS defrag utility is pretty much unchanged since Win95. The reason 3rd parties take the time to do it is because the MS version is slow (for what it does), not very thorough, and doesn't have any extra features that the numerous 3rd party defraggers do.

Defraggler, for example, has a feature that puts long files at the end of the drive, speeding access to other files because the heads don't have to jump over the tracks and because they appear at the end of the file allocation table.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looking for a new laptop? This may help.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have been evaluating Acronis True Image Home 2010 now for several weeks.

It does several things well - backups and true disk cloning (meaning one can make an EXACT duplicate onto another HDD - great for upgrading). Also has Try and Decide, a sandbox for installing apps on a trial basis.

At Amazon for ~$32.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Don't Press that F1 Key!

When prompted by a website: here.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Blu-Ray Player at Sam's Club!

Sam's has the Sony BDP-S360 on sale for $119. This is the de facto winner for entry- level Blu-Ray. The HDMI cable is extra, so check out the Samsung model next to it ($149) which includes the $20 cable.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Update Firefox

Get updated immediately if you're using Firefox. There's a serious vulnerability in earlier versions.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
How do I figure out if I have Firefox? I know this may sound stupid, but hey, it's me Confused

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
If you don't know what Firefox is, you probably don't have a problem. Firefox is an after-market web browser. If you have a PC, you're probably using Microsoft internet Explorer. If it's a Mac, you're probably using Safari, programs that come installed as default web browsers on the respective machines. You have to download Firefox & install it yourself.

I use Firefox, & it regularly updates itself. Once in awhile when I open it, it tells me to wait a minute while it finishes updating.

Here endeth my technical knowledge of the cyber world. I bow to the superior expertise of such as Rusty.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff & Joy:
How do I figure out if I have Firefox?

If you have Firefox, it is likely you will get periodic notices of upgrade availability. If you use Windows and have Firefox, "Mozilla Firefox" is likely to be on your desktop.

If you use Windows, and have Firefox, it is probably Here:

1. Click on Start,

2. All Programs.

3. A table will magically appear.

4. Look on that table for Mozilla Firefox.

5. If it's there, you have it. If not, Not.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Interesting that early versions of Firefox had a vulnerability, but later versions have a flaw that due to the higher security can s l o w it w a y d o w n. I just upgraded (free of course) to the very latest 3.6.x.x.x.x and they must have fixed that as it flys again.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
v3.6.2 had some bugswats and enhancements as well as fixing the vulnerability.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
AT&T Wants to to "Help" You on Its Clogged 3D Network

NOT!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Thats why Helen & I switched to Verizon years ago, we just didn't trust their decision to go GSM only. What good is having a 3G device, if the service is not available in MOST places?? My Blackberry Storm, albeit a "clunky" device, enjoys 3G service just about anywhere we go. Don't get me wrong, there are holes and weak spots. The Wilson system takes care of the weak signals, leaving only a few holes in the areas we have traveled. The upcoming 4G from AT&T & Verizon will be based on the LTE (Long term Evolution) system which will eventually morph into true 4G in a couple of years. So if we (Verizon Customers) can't get an iphone on the verizon system, we should be able to jailbreak an AT&T version to work. That would complete our complete transition to Apple technology.
Billy T

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.