Tools
Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...I have Windows Defender, but SE doesn't appear on my Control Panel. No matter, I have other apps for that.

Anyway, CCleaner is very reliable (v2.19.900 is out - download it here - uncheck ALL the install options when they pop up), but you should be careful with what you choose to allow it to do. Its main charm is its ability to de-gunk the registry, but it can do other things as well.

I suspect most of the large amounts of "clutter" CCleaner wants to delete are Internet temp files and Recycle Bin; Cookies and History don't take up much space (relatively).

Open the main menu, click Cleaner/Windows. Under Internet Explorer, check whatever you want deleted. I generally don't check Cookies and History, as I use other apps for that, and you could lose automatic logins and have to re-establish them. Everything in Windows Explorer is fair game. Under System, everything is also fair game, but make sure there's nothing in the recycle bin you don't want to lose. Leave Advanced unchecked (these won't clutter your system very much, and many get overwritten frequently anyway).

Under "Registry", it's safe to check everything.

"Tools"/Uninstall is contains a quick-and-dirty app for uninstalling - but it tends to be more thorough than the Control Panel counterpart in removing stubs. Startup is an expanded version of msconfig (Start/Run, type "msconfig"), but I recommend not messing with either. System Restore summarizes restore point activity. I recommend restore points be made at least once a week.

Under "Options", mess with nothing except Advanced, where "Only delete files in Windows Temp older than 48 hours" and "Show prompt to backup registry issues" (Always allow, but keep this prompt to let you know what's going on).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Botnets Surpass Conficker

But that's no surprise.

[soapbox]Barthmobilers may tire of my hammering (and yammering) on about computer security, but this is serious business, folks.
Check out the latest issue of Consumers Reports.

It's bad enough if one's lax, "it can't happen to me" attitude allows infection of one's own PC, but it's irresponsible if that attitude allows that PC to harm others'.

This is not a drill![/soapbox]

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Internet Explorer 8

It's available for download (and has been for several weeks); but it won't necessarily be automatically downloaded and installed. (Click "Start"/Windows Updates to access).

It contains many new features that are worthwhile, including much more effective anti-phishing and anti-malware routines. Its speed now approaches Firefox 3, and for those websites that aren't IE8 friendly, it automatically shifts to [IE7] "Compatibility Mode".

A not-too-tedious review is here.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barthmobilers may tire of my hammering (and yammering) on about computer security, but this is serious business, folks.
Check out the latest issue of Consumers Reports.

And check this out if you think hackers aren't serious...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What do you think about IE 8 vs Google Chrome? We're running Windows XP with a Pentium 4 and dial up. We use Google Chrome now. Tere likes it more than Firefox.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For the moment (and this prefix should be attached to any browser), Chrome is fine. Its use isn't widespread enough for hackers to take the time to find and exploit vulnerabilities. That could change quickly.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Freeware Utilities Alá Carte

Major Geeks has a comprehensive list of freeware that may just do what you need...this is a consistently safe site for downloads.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Adobe ReaderSecurity Flaw Patched

Here.There was little fanfare about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Bad nooz!

A noted security geek suggests discontinuing the use of Adobe Reader (Used to open .pdf files).

Alternatives are here.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yet Another Name to Know!

Gumblar

This virus has mutated, and affects websites and consequently, their visitors.

The only recourse at the moment is to keep the browser and anti-virus updated.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,
Should I be doing updates & scans from my safe mode? & should I download security software in safe mode too?
Thanks,
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
No need to go to safe mode. The "safe" in safe mode has nothing to do with malware, although from the name one would think it does.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's been a quiet week on the Bad Guy front, although malware infested Twitter (Since controlled), and Facebook members need to excercise extreme caution on clicking links.

Anyway, this post is to update the GeekWorld observations on Windows 7. Micro$oft has done a credible job de-Vista-ing W7; the concensus so far is that that W7 improves markedly on Vista in every category.

But then this is Micro$oft's history - thoroughbred followed by a dog followed by a thoroughbred...Win 95 then Win 98 (I wrote a little routine that automated wiping W98 - without damaging other stuff on the C: drive - musta been used 100K times by others - that's how unstable that version was), Win 98SE then Win ME, XP then Vista...now W7.

Is it Nirvana? No, because drivers for legacy peripherals will likely not be available. Sad, but the peripherals builders have enough to do to update drivers for contemporary gear.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I installed Win7RC on an older AMD based computer and it crashed, but then set it up on a new AMD based system (now triple boot) (no more boot.ini) and it runs so far like a clock. Two issues that pertain to me, no Outlook express, (or any mail tool) and will not accept remote desktop connections - haven't found out why, but it may be that no terminal services on the RC version that I installed. Great graphics, no way to run in 'classic mode'. All menu selections are not the way I want them, but then again, probably a personal issue. Overall it seems 'pretty darn good'.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The RC intentionally had no email nor RDT nor some other features. Microsoft will have a slew of versions at various prices, and many features are to be left out of the lower-priced tiers.

BTW, the Official Release Date has been announced: October 22 '09.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Not-So-Good-News for Dish Network DVR Owners

Although there are conflicting reports (Dish Networks says its DVRs can continue), a judge says otherwise.

Dish has been ordered to pay $103 megabucks to TIVo (on top of the $105,000,000 previously ordered), and to disable its DVRs.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke