Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mac Attacks

Apple has released a bunch of security updates.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Heartland Security Hacked

Why should this concern me?

Check out this list of banks/credit unions known to have customers' records accessed.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Itchin' for a Plasma TV?

It might be time to commit to getting one. Pioneer, with its expensive Kuro and Kuro Elite (Both Supreme Geekchoices) has decided to exit the market. So has Vizio. Panasonic is now the default Geekchoice champ.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Adobe Reader 9 and Acrobat 9 hacked!

To refresh memories, Reader and Acrobat are used to read the very common .pdf files (although Adobe Photoshop can as well).

Adobe reports thst both 9s have been hacked; read about it here. Apparently the vulnerability spilled over to V7 and v8 of both, but this isn't stated.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty! Have you heard of anyone having trouble with Google Chrome? A couple of days ago, we couldn't bring it up. The screen would sort of flash, like it was trying to bring it up, but it just wouldn't do it. We had to switch over to Firefox. Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's a new release out today. There have been a few security flaws; the worst of those were fixed last year.

I haven't heard of issues like you're having.

Hopefully, you're also running antivirus and anti-malware programs (such as Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and/or Spyware Blaster), as well as a firewall (Zone Alarm).

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Itchin' for a Plasma TV?

It might be time to commit to getting one. Pioneer, with its expensive Kuro and Kuro Elite (Both Supreme Geekchoices) has decided to exit the market. So has Vizio. Panasonic is now the default Geekchoice champ.

I just finished putting a 19" Vizio in the bedroom, love it, the best thing is the tuner, very sensitive and will pull in digital channels my other boxes don't see! (same antenna) Probably will upgrade the front to a 26" or 32" later this summer.

3-12-09
DUH! I just realized that the post was about plasma TVs, the Vizio I put in the bedroom is a LCD model.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I can't say I recommend plasma TV's since they don't do well at altitude. Many of them aren't even suited for elevations above 6000' and we are around 6300' here in Colorado Springs, CO. We have two fairly new TV's, a 65" Mitsubishi that was nice until we upgraded to blu-ray and then it became just plain awesome. The TV in the Stagecoach is a 26" Sharp Aquos with a stand alone up-converting DVD player. While we don't have a blu-ray hooked up to the Aquos, it has a stunning picture. Actually, I pulled it out of the coach back in December to replace the TV in the spare bedroom. My ulterior motive is to move up to a 32" for the coach, most likely another Aquos. I like the features they have and, as I stated, the picture is stunning.

I want to stress that when buying a TV for a coach, pay particular attention to the sound as well as the picture. The Aquos does NOT do well when it comes to sound. If the generator is running or you're inthe middle of a hail storm, it is difficult to hear even at max volume. It does well in the family room as long as it isn't moving down the road. I was warned about this by the sales associate at Ultimate Electronics but, since we have our stereo system in the coach tied in with the TV and DVD player, sound was not an issue and I picked the Aquos over other TV's I looked at based on the picture and other features such as automatic adjustment for light.

I also would NOT recommend a TV/DVD combo. The DVD players in these sets are very low tech and they break more often. They are also more expensive to work on when they do break. I highly recommend staying with a stand alone DVD player that you can upgrade as you see fit. TV/DVD combos probably will not have external connections for a DVD player if the internal component fails. We have a TV/DVD/VHS combo in the basement and it only has connections for audio. Another factor to consider is the money you will save buying a stand alone upconverting DVD player and the same TV without an internal DVD player. It isn't much but you will end up with a better picture and something you can upgrade without replacing the TV as well.

The Stagecoach has a Pioneer tuner hooked up to a 10 speaker system (8 front/2 bedroom) and a subwoofer along with a fairly powerful amp. This is why the lackluster sound of the Aquos was not an issue. Smiler

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree - more importantly, they seem a bit fragile compared to LCD. In any event the emergence of OLED (Organic LED) screens has been tabled due to the costs involved in building fabs; virtually nothing of LED fabs can do OLEDS.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BARGAIN ALERT!

If one has been following this thread, one would note I very much like iolo's System Mechanic, which I've used since v1.0. Of the cleansing and maintenance apps, SM has always been safe and effective. SM 8 is available at Wal-Mart for about $22 (for 3 PCs), and which will automatically update to v8.5; it also comes with iolo's antivirus, about which I can't comment, since I use Avast!.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Haven't Used Norton-Anything Since 2003

(And this is nothing new...)

Symantec, owner now of the Norton name, has a history (at least with me) of shovelware and shady practices.

If you're using Norton's security software, this is a bit ominous.

In any event, if you are, do a file search for pift.exe, and exterminate it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Adobe has released the patch for Reaader 9 (upgrades to v9.1). Reader 7 and 8 patches to be released 3/18.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Internet Explorer 8 has been released. Read about it here.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Wow Rusty, I'm surprised you use IE when you so smartly chose Avast over the Devil Incarnate - Norton!! Firefox is my choice, extremely basic and fast.

I just got my parents their first ever computer, a Compaq laptop for $399. Man they're getting down there in price. My first job, as always, is to delete Norton before it gets its tentacles into the OS. I kinda think of this as Exorcism!! In goes Avast, voila, its Zen-like!!

By the way - McAfee still owes me $60 from a never seen rebate from 1990s. Last time I was in San Jose I had to hold myself back from putting a rock through one of their pretty gold plated windows!!!!

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use IE7, usually. Chrome has been declared the Speed King of browsers, but I don't like the layout. And at a recent Black Hat convention, ALL the browsers were hacked within minutes...

Security comes not necessarily from the browsers, but by running Spybot Search and Destroy and its attendant Tea-Timer, Zone Alarm, and System Mechanic's Registry Mechanic. Those prevent unwanted changes to the system, especially the registry.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke