Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Winter Cover Reccomendation?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winter Cover Reccomendation?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
Have a '92 Breakway, 30 footer. It's worthy of covering for the winter. Any recommendations for a good cover?

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good question! (Obviously the best cover is a roof, but..)

I had a large plastic tarp over mine one winter. I noticed some abrasion on the sides near the top. Also, when I had to shovel it off to leave for Florida, it was REALLY slick walking on snow, ice, and slippery plastic.

Since my paint is pretty old I have been just covering the ACs and the vents the last 2 years. Much easier to clear off the snow.

When I finally get all the driveline and mechanical systems fully restored I will begin with the wheel wells and basement doors. Then on to a new paint job. By then I will be serious about a roof over it.

Good topic for this thread. I'd like to hear what others have done also. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
I used an ADCO cover that I bought new off of CL that I used last year successfully. There was no abrasion to the paint. Living in the rainy NW, I used a 1500 watt oil heater inside to keep the moisture level at a minimum. The oil heaters are very safe and some come with thermostats. The overall result was quite satisfactory. The only down side is if you want to use the coach it's a hassle to put on and take off. As Steve said the best option is a roof.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
First time to participate in a social forum - don't know if responding to one respondent or all.
With that said, thanks for your time. Will look for a cover on Craig's List as well. I too have experienced abrasion from a plastic tarp on a car. Right now I may use a tarp over a fabric cover.
Never thought about a possible interior moisture issue. I keep a used pick up in a dry barn and today when I used it (rarely used), light colored mold had formed on some of the interior. For the MH, I will certainly look into addressing the possibility, and consider an "oil burner".
This is fun - sure beats being interrupted by the wife Smiler.

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
We have a ADCO, have used it for 8 of the nine years we have owned our 28 Regal. Just drained all line and winterize drains. Only ware is around exhaust pipes, but we got a repair kit and added cover over sharp edges of pipe. Only year not used was year it was inside storage. All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Great.
Found it on Amazon for around $340.
I'd be happy to get merely 3-4 years of life.
Winters can be tough here in the 'burg" but I'm equally concerned about sun exposure.
Thx.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I know of a Barth owner who stores his Barth in some limestone caves near Pittsburgh. They are commercially operated, etc. Being from Pittsburgh, I was interested in this since I was not aware of any limestone caves in the area.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I, as well, have heard of the caverns near Pgh..
I will ask around and let you know of the area, and possibly the cost.
It might take a few weeks to find someone knowledgeable.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
The caves you are talking about , might be the old underground mines, that are about 10 miles from my house . the address is rt 18 , wampum pa . the name is Wampum Underground Commerce Center . this is about 40 miles north of pittsburgh . i have stored my boats in there many times . there website is wampumunderground . com Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Great info. We all appreciate it.
Do you know, as I have heard, if there is a high humidity issue with mine storage?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
There is regular storage in the mine & climate controlled storage also , for a much higher price . i used to put my boat in the mines regular storage & we would put charcoal in open containers to absorb the moisture . there was always some mold on the seats no matter what we did . if I was going to store my barth in the mines , i would pay extra for the climate controlled . Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post