Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    the Cajun Connection....
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

the Cajun Connection....
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
http://theadvocate.com/home/466147-79/story.html

Smiley Anders for July 29, 2011

Smiley Anders ( no relation!!)

Advocate columnist

How we got our Cajun population

A reader pointed out that I missed acknowledging a special day Thursday - a “Day of Remembrance” for Acadians.

In Halifax, Nova Scotia, on July 28, 1755, British Gov. Charles Lawrence signed the deportation order setting in motion “Le Grand Derangement” and forcibly removing thousands of Acadians.

From 1755 to 1763, it is estimated that 7,000 - half the entire population of Acadians - perished during their diaspora.

But many made their way to Louisiana, establishing a Cajun culture that to this day enriches our state - and keeps us from being Mississippi West.

So despite the suffering his order caused, it turns out that old Charlie did us a favor....

http://www.novascotia.com/en/h...iafamilyhistory.aspx

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
And thank the Honorable British Gov. Charles Lawrence so much. By doing so he created one of the most interesting areas and people in the USA. South Louisiana is absolutely one of my favorite places to visit in the USA.

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez"

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Blu
posted Hide Post
Speaking of favors and Cajuns

How we got our Cajun population

A reader pointed out that I missed acknowledging a special day Thursday - a “Day of Remembrance” for Acadians.

In Halifax, Nova Scotia, on July 28, 1755, British Gov. Charles Lawrence signed the deportation order setting in motion “Le Grand Derangement” and forcibly removing thousands of Acadians.

From 1755 to 1763, it is estimated that 7,000 - half the entire population of Acadians - perished during their diaspora.

But many made their way to Louisiana, establishing a Cajun culture that to this day enriches our state - and keeps us from being Mississippi West.

So despite the suffering his order caused, it turns out that old Charlie did us a favor....

http://www.novascotia.com/en/h...iafamilyhistory.aspx[/QUOTE]

Posts: 6 | Location: East Texas | Member Since: 10-09-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The Cajun Navy indeed! (Would you rather climb a wall or wrassle an alligator?) confusion

I'd hate to see their Air Force! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I am proud of my Cajun heritage.

One Definition of a Cajun: Someone who eats something before it eats them! cheers

Had crawfish just a few days ago. Gumbo is made for deer camp. We eat all week.

Have to acknowledge my polish heritage also. Will have pirogues and sausage any meals we don't have enough Gumbo.

Food is important in our family and ties us together.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post