Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wireless Router
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I have dial up service with no option for high speed. Would like to install a router so we can use the computer from anywhere in the house and also print wirelessly. I've been told that no one makes a router for dial up. Has anyone been able to set up their home for wireless work even tho they have dial up service only? Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I have dial up service with no option for high speed.
Jim

If you can get a verizon signal, Millenicom will sell you 20 gb per month for $60.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We live inside a metal building and have very poor reception for our cell phones. We tried a Verizon air card but it would not work. The dial up service operates at about 42 KPS and is not too bad. We would only operate one computer on the network.Tere likes to sit on the couch and operate her computer but we have to string wires all over the place ergo the idea for the router.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I used a Wilson wireless amplifier with great results. I have the same issue of living in a metal sided mobile home. If I walk outside I have cell service but inside not so much.

There is an antenna outside connected to the amp and an inside antenna. Basically it is just a signal repeater. I have a mobile unit hooked up to an AC power supply for use at home. When we roll the Barth the amp comes with us.

We got cell service at McDowell Mountain AZ when very few others did. We also found less dropped calls while traveling.

Wilson Electronics

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bones:
I used a Wilson wireless amplifier with great results. I have the same issue of living in a metal sided mobile home. If I walk outside I have cell service but inside not so much.

There is an antenna outside connected to the amp and an inside antenna. Basically it is just a signal repeater. I have a mobile unit hooked up to an AC power supply for use at home. When we roll the Barth the amp comes with us.

We got cell service at McDowell Mountain AZ when very few others did. We also found less dropped calls while traveling.

Wilson Electronics

I cannot speak highly enough of Wilson products. We use their SOHO amplifier with either a Wilson trucker or their dual band yagi on one end and the velcro inductive pickup on the phone in the RV. House uses a flat panel, but it has too much scatter for a small motor home.

Anyone who is considering or using a Verizon internet air card should check out Millenicom. Much more gb for about the same price. Free Novatel USB760 aircard, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
I told You Teri ! Way back at the Chattanooga GTG that this stuff really works..... Wilson now has a complete SOHO "Kit" with everything in the box that you need and we keep them in stock. Here is what Helen & I use in the Barth:

Wilson SOHO Kit,
Verizon 4G(3G too) USB Modem plugged into a
Cradlepoint MB1000 Wired & Wireless Router.

Printer, DirecTV & the Televisions all plug into the wired part of the Cradlepoint and our MacBooks, Droid Phones and iPod all connect wirelessly. Hope that helps.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.