Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dish Network DVRs may be Clobbered
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
TiVo has prevailed entirely in a patent-infringement suit against Dish Network. Conditions of the judgement (unless Dish Network chooses to appeal to the Supreme Court) could force Dish Network to not only stop selling digital video recorders, but also to disable those already in place. An out for Dish is to pay damages and to license the technology from TiVo...see the summary here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
Sure doesn't look like Dish is in a very strong negotiating position right now. They will just have to pay up, and then pass on the cost to us video junkies.

Posts: 57 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
For what good it may do, I just changed the 'system upgrades' selection to be 'ask before downloading' Confused

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dish Network/Echostar DVRs Nearing Death

See here.

The outlook is NOT promising; I first posted this issue many, many months ago.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Dish Network/Echostar DVRs Nearing Death

The outlook is NOT promising...
I have been TiVo'ing since Feb of 2001 and I participate in the TiVoCommunity Forums. Being an early adopter of this technology, I have watched it grow and have been a part of some of its early implementations of even newer technology. Live streaming video, networking capabilities, MRV, TiVo ToGo, etc...

I currently own 7 TiVo DVRs and I love this device for ease of use, expandability and design. It actually gives me time back. That's right, it saves me time too.

I have no problem with this and I applaud the decision of the Judge. It's been a long time coming. TiVo tried to work with Dish Network/Echostar and their attitude was one of "Go ahead and sue us" they did, and this is the aftermath. Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
SEVEN??!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
SEVEN??!!
2 in the Bar room hooked to both TVs. 2 in the living room to keep the wife's stuff separate from the kids stuff. 1 in each kids room. 1 in the master bedroom = Seven.

I can download TV shows and movie releases from Netflix or Amazon directly to the TiVo and watch it on our TV sets. The rentals are typically in the .99 to $3.99 range... No more going to a video store!

I can record one program on one TiVo and watch it anywhere in the house.

I can take programs from my TiVo and watch it on my laptap or PSP Game system.

I can blow thru all of those annoying commercial or I can rewind live TV to see a replay or to rehear what I missed.

I can program my TV shows to record from my Cell or Laptop if something gets rescheduled or I find out something new is on.

I can pause live TV and answer a biz call without missing either one.

I can watch anything from a podcast to a YouTube video too.

Most importantly... when Linda comes in to talk, I can pause the program and actually listen to what she is saying without yessing her to death to get her to stop talking. Big Grin

Time saver, money maker, marriage saver! TiVo is the originator and best equipped DVR on the market.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Jeez! I can't even program my VCR. Does anyone else still have one of those?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We keep a 20" TV/VCR in the downstairs party room closet. Bring it out now and then to watch one of my old Isle of Man TT races videotapes. Mike Hailwood and Phil Read were my idols.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
FYI olroy, we still got a VCR, actually a couple of them. Now, I assume you're talking about a VHS VCR, remember the controversy over VHS vs Beta, and then they had those picture disc things for a while, with the movies on a disc similar to an old vinyl LP, and before that the reel to reel movies.....sure going down memory lane this morning..... java

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We have several VCRs. but they are mainly used for transferring our extensive library to DVD. One of them is a combo with a DVD recorder, as well, so it gets the most use. We will also often watch a VHS tape to evaluate it for inclusion into our DVD library.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Both Bill's must have PHD's in electrical engineering!! This new generation is really incredibly smart!! Wait a minute--El Segundo is part of the old generation. Guess that leaves me a little behind Frowner

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Da' Judge orders a stay pending appeal in the EchoStar vs.TiVO case. Appeal isn't until 11/09 - but it was fast-tracked to that relatively early time frame.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
the TiVO vs. Echostar litigation takes another turn, as the underlying TiVO patent could be invalidated.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke