S.O.B. "Project" Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
...Just beggin' for a polish job Roll Eyes

Note the street-side entrance.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&hash=item3a61088528

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....i don't think that the 383 was around in 52. Maybe they mean the 318? It is a cool looking coach though. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Hmmmm....i don't think that the 383 was around in 52. Maybe they mean the 318? It is a cool looking coach though. Smiler

I think the V8s of '52 or 53 were hemis around 330 inches or so. Trucks had a flathead six. Not much power, but with a torque band as wide and as flat as a table.

I see one of those every so often. It used to be a post office service van of some sort, according to the owner. Never asked about the drivetrain.

Coulda been a retrofit, though. the 361/383 V8s were real pullers. At least the ones in Class Cs.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 55 Dodge pickup that originally had a 318 from what i was told. When i got it the V8 had been replaced with a straight 6 from that era. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
'53 and '54 Dodges were 241 cubes and the '55 upped it to 270. The '54 Chrysler had the 331 Hemi with the 4bbl and dual exhausts standard on the Deluxe Newport. Two speed auto sucked but with a rolling start I beat everything (nearly) to 80mph when it shifted.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Only door on the drivers side???

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
'53 and '54 Dodges were 241 cubes and the '55 upped it to 270. The '54 Chrysler had the 331 Hemi with the 4bbl and dual exhausts standard on the Deluxe Newport. Two speed auto sucked but with a rolling start I beat everything (nearly) to 80mph when it shifted.

My enhanced Hudson Hornet was seldom bested, but an early '50s Chrysler came close. I think it was a Saratoga, a smaller model with the big engine. Kinda like the Olds Super 88s or the Buick Centurys.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
This is the second posting on this one on EBay and it's been in Fl CL for a few rounds. If I had the room.....

It has doors on both sides if you look at the pictures carefully. Although, I looked at the CL photos too.

I never bought the concept that the owner put forth that is is a Spartan prototype. It makes much more sense to me that it was converted.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

I never bought the concept that the owner put forth that is is a Spartan prototype. It makes much more sense to me that it was converted.

Spartan built too much nice-looking stuff. I doubt that the same design team that produced the Spartan Executive could have done such an uninteresting front end for a motor home. The later Spartan motor homes looked nothing like that in front, but the back reminds.

Perhaps it could have been a commercial unit.

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Do the dual headlights bother anybody else? Dual headlights came in 1958, not 52 or 53. Back in 53 everything was still 6 volts. I would like to see someone find dualies (smaller diameter) in 6 volts.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
Do the dual headlights bother anybody else? Dual headlights came in 1958, not 52 or 53. Back in 53 everything was still 6 volts.

No, they didn't bother me at all.

In fact, I didn't even take notice of what should have been an obvious tip-off. D'oh

Good catch!