Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Follow This! Give Advice 1974 Barth Remodel Starts NOW!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Follow This! Give Advice 1974 Barth Remodel Starts NOW!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
I got a 6'x12' Burnt Orange 3/4" thick Carpet remnant today ($52) for the cabin area, Should go well with the 70's Theme! My cousin donated 3/4" chestnut brown hardwood flooring Smiler The dark brown leather couches (with storage)at Target fit perfect! they Made for a nice sectional along entry wall and behind the cabin. Drop Her off Monday for new leaf springs and a lift so I can put a shower above one of the wheel wells. New high torque racing starter and that will do it for is year. Unless I hit the lotto! Keeping my eye out for a new roof A/C

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
What starter did you buy?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
I have not purchased one yet I think its a P80? My uncle has the part # I think I will buy it from Summit Racing. $250 or so.
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Stewart:
I have not purchased one yet I think its a P80? My uncle has the part # I think I will buy it from Summit Racing. $250 or so.

I have had good results with Delco gear reduction starters. They are cheaper and parts, repair or replacement is much more convenient when location and time enter into the equation.

I have a 625 hp very high compression 502 with lots of advance in my boat and a stock Delco gear reduction starter spins it really well.

My truck has a little extra power and compression, too, and a stock gear reduction starter does fine.

Actually, the stock Delco 454 starter is very good, too. Parts availability is even better, since so many vehicles used its internal parts. Their only weakness is the need for proper anti-heat measures. Heat-resistant solenoid, Belleville washer/nut, heat shielding, etc. Later P30s had an extra solenoid up on the upper right side of the engine compartment that helped, as well.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Scott, I once had trouble with my starter on the 454 not turning the engine over very well. The culprit was the engine block ground strap. In another post, Curtis, the young man who inherited his grandpa's Barth, found the same solution to his starting problems. You may have already checked this, but if not, try it. Even if the connection looks good, take it apart, clean it, put it back on. If the wire gage for the ground is too small, you might want to replace it with a heavier wire.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
Update! Me and Bud took Barth for a ride yesterday to try out the new leaf spring, Boy She really goes when Gutted! Runs awesome! Here are some pics of our progress. We dug a little deeper than we wanted to but are GLAD we did! The question is Do we go deeper? Things are a bit messy with the wheel wells ad all? I think I can fix her up pretty good but the Bottom of this thing is giving way everywhere! You know the thin Aluminum on the bottom of the floor holding up the Insulation. I don't intend on this being my last RV but don't wand to 1/2 Ass her either? I'm no electrician and everything worked when I gutted her so I'm thinking a Tac weld here and there, new overlay on the floor, and put her back together? The only this salvageable was the H2o heater I think? How about that Gas line for the Generator running the distance of the frame and rubbing on everything? Hazard or Not? Seems ok for now? Also the exterior red lights around the top only one works? Where can I look for the problem Bulbs? Wire broke? Thanks for any Advice

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
Boy,

that looks familiar, must say though that my floor and wheel wells are in much better shape, but no salt on our roads in the winter.

I have gone further, but your not too far behind. Not sure how much you would gain by ripping the walls off. Course you could find all of your wiring.

Not sure what to do with the floor. I think it is between the walls and the frame, so you cannot just pull up the old and replace it easily.

Glad to see the pics, nice to know someone is as crazy as I am to tear them up.

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Those head boards are held in place with (in my case square headed screws) that are found by looking for tiny holes in the vinyl.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
Turns out the guy that did me springs had one sittin on the shelf form his dads old 454 RV $80.00 and its mine! has a Red Chevy Bow Tie on her as well!
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

posted Hide Post
quote:
The generator started up with a little gas in the plug, But wont stay running? do these oanan generators have elec fuel pumps?

How much fuel do you have in the tank? Often the dip tube for the genertor does not go all the way down to the bottom of the tank. That way the generator wont run you out of fuel and strand you.

The fuel pump on my Kohler is electric. Run a fuel line from where it connects to the generator into a gas can. See if it draws the fuel up and runs.

1985 Barth Regal 28 footer
P30 Chevy chassis
454 big block

Posts: 17 | Location: Southeast Wisconsin | Member Since: 09-19-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I got it to stay running, I used a battery charger to turn it over until it started, then I'd quick take it off, seems it needs to constantly be connected to juice to keep running. Still need to see if its drawing gas from the tank. I'll try filling er up tomorrow. Should I store it for the winter with full tank or low tank. either way I'm sure it will be empty in the spring. Frowner

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Full tank is better (condensation gets bad on an empty tank). Put something in it too like "Seafoam" and run your generator about 1 hour every month WITH a load on it.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I was trying to figure out if you meant the coach tank or if you have a seperate tank for the genny. The coach tanks are always better full, with a stabilizer,[I use GasShok]. Why did you say it would be empty in the spring?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
Villains in the night. Sucking the gas out.

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
How about locking fuel caps? Had to put 'em on our cars (neighbor kid) and big truck (diesel). Also keeps busy little ones out filling tanks with playsand (ask my nephew) or sugar.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post