Barthmobile Portal
spare tire

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6141087061/m/5783997987

06-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Evan & Holly
spare tire
Hi everyone just got back from camping in Florida siesta key turtle beach we were in one spot for a week and for the next 2 weeks we had to move Barth to a new site I didnt see that one tire leaked from the tire extention air valve and the outer tire had come off the rim it broke the beed well i dont carry a spare tire. I went on utube to see how to fix tire well i took a can of starting fluid sprayed it in tire lit it up on fire then kicked the tire and sure enough it exploded back on rim then i hit it with air and fixed extension valve problem solved. Does anyone else carry a spare I
think i will now maybe on roof any one have idea were to put one?
we have put 10,600 miles on our Barth and more to come
06-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Steve VW
Sounds like you lucked out with the rim! I have seen several examples of using combustion heat to seat tire beads. Starter fluid (ether), propane, even gasoline. Not always easy to control. Many have been injured doing this, tires have blown off the rims. Other injuries have come later when an unsuspecting tire guy dismounts a tire full of vapors and gets a blast. Be sure to purge the tire with air before any work is done. A good argument to have a spare.

My 86 has 19.5 rims and came with a spare carrier above the trailer hitch. The wheel weighs 120 lbs and the tilt carrier another 20 lbs, all riding right above the trailer hitch all the way back. Since the lug nuts require only 140 lb/ft of torque I can (and have) actually changed tires.

I decided to remove the wheel and carrier. I now keep the spare on the roof. It has a cable to attach it to the roof rail. Much more centered and out of the way for bike racks in the back, etc. I hope I never need the spare.

My Monarch has 22.5 wheels. They must weigh at least 200 lbs. Since I cannot remove or remount the wheels (350 lb/ft of torque!) and are bulky to store, I don't carry a spare. New tires are my best defense.

Good luck with your travls. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
06-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Evan & Holly
Thanks for the response I did watch all the utube videos it was scary watching but I was in a pinch and took precautions by standing on the side of the Barth and yes I will carry a spare without a rim next time use Roadside help and I'm putting new tires all the way around taking another trip in July having so much fun in our new Barth I get a lot of looks at camp grounds well glamping on
06-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Steve VW
Smart man, learns from experience. New tires are the best ounce of prevention and a spare is good to have!

It is good to hear the Barth is working out. 10,000 miles already puts you more than most. Some do more parking than driving. Like you, we love to drive places.

We put about 45,000 miles on the 86 from 2011 to 2016. We have about 5,000 on the Monarch since Oct 2016. Never had any tire problems so far.

Good luck and happy trails

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
06-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Evan & Holly
Last month on our travels the tandem tow dolly I got a blow out so bought new tires at the nearest walmart 3 tires next week the Audi A4 blower a tire the tire valve blows off new tires again so may was tire month for us but don't have to worry for three more years yea