Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Try this test...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Try this test...
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
This site will test your connection speeds - If you're getting slow downloads or would like to see if you're getting your moneys worth then check out the linked picture below.

When I first signed up for "High Speed" service thru Road Runner I was signed up on a planned called "Road Runner Light" seeing that I was only connecting at 48k before via dial up I thought that 864 kbps was very fast. After trying to download a movie I realized that I had a problem.

To make a long story shorter - I contacted Time Warner and asked about current plans and was amazed to find out I could save $5 month and get a much faster connection. I am now connecting at 6,800+ kbps in New York.

I am down in Calabash NC for a few days and ran another test. Speeds are slower but can't complain.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, BillNY! It showed a decent score for my net connection, but it feels a lot slower between Sept and May (when 10,000 students are online). I'm on a University network.

Accessing the internet is usually acceptable, but if I have the opportunity to download data from other universities the speed is incredible. It seems various universities have direct lines to each other or something; I'm not a networking guru so I don't understand how they are set up. The best I've ever seen is something like 3 gigs worth of linux distros off another university 800 miles away in an hour. This is the 1-2 megabyte/second range.

Speed is always dependent on how fast someone will upload you data, however, and it doesn't matter how fast your pipe is when the person sending it to you is pushing it through a straw Smiler

Posts: 45 | Location: Canada | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post