Tools
Reply To This Topic

Option 2
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
This is just a crazy thing that popped into my little peabrain and I didn't know where to share it so here it is.
You're driving down the road and a lane must merge.
Option 1. Tailgate the car in front of you so the out-of-stater can't get in and must stop.
Option 2. Slow down a bit and wave him in.
You're in the grocery store and a little old lady is blocking the aisle you want to go down.
Option 1. Shove her cart out of the way and procede.
Option 2. Ask if you can help her find or reach something.
You're driving down a side street and somebody is walking their dogs.
Option 1. Maintain your speed and lane and hope they get out of the way.
Option 2. Slow down and make sure they have plenty of room before you go by.
I don't mean this to be a religious thing of any sort, just a little thing that shows that doing the right thing in any situation makes you a better person and makes you feel good about yourself. I think it would be really cool if we could somehow make "Choose Option 2" become something. Just dreaming I know, but this is the only place I could put something like this.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
What a place the world could be... Saddest part is that there is no reason it couldn't be. It's all about simple choices. Choosing what you should do from all the things that you can do. We are so quick to complain and blame when we could be helping out. I am somewhat relieved to see that we haven't lost it completely (i.e. community response after tornados and floods) but sadly it seems a low priority in daily life. Funny thing is when you try it Option 2 feels really good, at least to me. Good luck with this campaign.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You have class, Danny Z. Thanks for the thought.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Good post bro. Don't forget to add in a smile to complete strangers to help brighten the day.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Funny thing is when you try it Option 2 feels really good, at least to me. Good luck with this campaign.

Absolutely!! I'll join this campaign any day. Little gestures can take so little but mean so much. Great post Danny Thumbs Up

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Feel free to copy, paste, add to, and send to your friends. Just please don't put my name on it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're driving down the road and a lane must merge

and you are finally within sight of the bottle neck and someone comes barreling down the vacated lane passing all those waiting their turn for a quarter of a mile ...option 2 ? ....bless him for he knoweth not what he doeth ...........!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You mean after you emptied the clip? (Just don't forget to open the window first...I hate that)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean Dub. Down here we have a few places that go from 3 lanes to 2, or 2 to 1 with little warning. The locals know what's coming up but the Yankees have no clue until they are in the pinch. So let them in! When on the highway with 5 miles of warning and the idiot thinks it's all right for him to pass everybody then pull in at the last minute, he's gone for Option 1, while those of us who merged at a safe speed to keep traffic flowing chose Option 2.

79 Barth Classic

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sorry about my last post...lived around Detroit too long. (My old friend Rick says the answer to most of the the Option 1 guys is to fire 3 "warning shots" at the knees/tires) This is definitely NOT option 2! I'm glad I am 25 miles from the nearest expressway now, traffic in SE Mi can be very ugly.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Steve, I think the traffic is ugly because the roads are ugly. Michigan has roads that could make Donald Trump swear. Oh wait - he does that any way. Never mind. Ooops

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Road rage is getting really bad down there. I don't see it nearly as much on the west side or here up north. After driving back from Florida with Barth I'm getting into this 60 mph right lane cruisin! So laid back, pull over any place and you're already home!
Michigan is the meanest state I've driven through. I've lived here all my life. Born in the UP, lived way too long downstate. You guys lived here way back, right?
The lakes are so beautiful and clean I can't stay away. If anybody's gonna be in the Traverse city area, please stop by. We'll fly up the coast in the Cessna for some of the best scenery in the world! Mackinac Bridge, islands, Pictured Rocks, all beautiful from above.
As for Donald Trump, what a piece of work there. If he were any more full of himself he'd explode!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Steve, when I go back to Michigan I meet plenty of Option 2 people. I don't think they are as laid back as the southern people but I do believe they have better manners. My only beef is that the last time I was up there, they still smoked in restaurants. I don't know if that is still allowed or not.

W4JDZ

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Doug, when Butch and Betty were down in January they said smoking isn't allowed in restaurants, bars, or pretty much any place in Michigan anymore. Awwww. Wink

79 Barth Classic

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You are right Doug there are many option 2 types here. The number seems to be inversely proportional to the population density. Detroit seems to bring out the worst of it. (Mayor and half the city officials are criminals and get elected anyway!) I retired to Kalkaska because people here look you in the eye, the cashiers at the store actually talk to you and we even use turn signals! (In Detroit we refer to brake lights as the "Michigan turn signal" since both lights are on you can turn either way!) Besides, if you do signal, people will often speed up to close the gap. It is almost impossible not to tailgate because if there is space ahead of you option 1 types will pull in (without signaling, of course!) SE Mi is the only place I see this. Central Mi, west side and UP are usually way better. Lots of good folks.
Smoking is now illegal in all public places and most work places are also smoke free, finally.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp