Tools
Reply To This Topic

Chopper crash
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
A couple years ago I posted about a helicopter crash I witnessed at Homestead Speedway. Today it really came home. My brother-in-law crashed in Grand Rapids. He's OK, a punched lung and some stitches, but the chopper burned up and the FAA guy with him pulled him out in time. I don't know much at this time but I'm sure I'll hear the whole story in time, so if any of you fly boys wants to know more than they are saying on the news, feel free to PM me.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
What a bummer, glad injuries were no worse than they were and hope his recovery is complete and swift.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Also glad to hear everyone is ok. I have two brothers that are VFR pilots...(one is almost IFR rated but not yet) One of them is a QB. Both interested in details whenever they come to light.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Suzy got back from Michigan last night. She talked to Ray Sunday aftewr he got home. He's having a news confrence today I believe, where he'll announce the cause as pilot error. Don't know the specifics, but I'm shocked. I thought sure it would be mechanical.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Danny, FWIW, here's the link to the NTSB/FAA
preliminary report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=20080603X00779&key=1

If it goes like most investigations at NTSB, we won't see the official Probable Causereport
for at least a year or so.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that Lee. It's much more informative than Newspaper reports. Ray's news conference should clear up some things also. If and when I see some transcripts I'll post them.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Danny,

First of all, the best news is that Ray is going to be OK (and I think you said the same for the FAA Inspector). The rest is bricks and mortar along with plenty of aluminum, which can all be replaced. And we're all thankful no one else was hurt.

Ray's willingness to accurately state the facts is admirable. But hopefully he is working with an attorney, for even though he is willing to tell it like it is, there will be decisions that will have to be made that could affect his future that an attorney should advise him on.

Thanks for this post. Hopefully we can all be of some small help to you and your wife along the way....

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post