Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hurricane Irma
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All the flooring's down, washer and dryer are in place ready to test, bedroom TV's mounted, plumbing's done (icemaker works), central vacuum is up, and the bed gets delivered Friday.

Now the water and vacuum are up, I can start cleanup...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Washer and dryer are up, so no more laundromat (there goes my social life java )

The workshop is back to the original layout, and much of the debris is on the workbenches drying out completely (out of the humidity outside).

May get to move back in by the end of July. Thumbs Up

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
So happy that you are finally in the home stretch. What you have gone through and how you have responded to it is a testimony of your resilience. Thumbs Up

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Made up the bed this week, pulled the interior of the freezer to clean, and tested (very important!) the home theater setup for the BR TV.

The chest of drawers and nightstand arrive next week from Wood You.

With some temporary fixes, the boys and I may try an overnight stay or two next weekend.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I could use a few days (or weeks) without rain - there's been rain here for 35 of the last 39 days. Several things have been outside for a week to dry...

Because the river's up into the woods, I moved StaRV II up the drive, blocking it for the Sienna and the Escalade. I've also deferred delivery of the chest and nightstand because of the 200' trip the delivery guys would have to hump them.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What a tough run you've had. Most of us have no idea what you and others that have gone through a hurricane have to deal with. You're on my prayer list.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Things would be much further along it the rain would just quit...more rain today.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Finally got some dry days.

Today, 8/11, marks the 11-month anniversary for moving into the Barth. I planned to finish some cleanup and straightening in the house - but wrenched my back yesterday, so get to enjoy chair rest...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The chest, nightstand, and headboard arrived Saturday, 8/28. In a bizarre affinity, it was the day John McCain died.

He was instrumental in normalizing relations with Vietnam.

Those items were made in Vietnam...the workmanship is superb.

Started the refinishing process Monday; it'll take a week because I tend to be fussy about woodwork I finish.

House got its CO Tuesday, so except for a couple of minor punchouts, the restoration is done.

The plan is to start transitioning into the house next week.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear that you're close to moving in.
Jim and Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Happy Anniversary to Meeee! And to Nelson and Chester...

12 months since the boys and I moved in to StaRV II when Irma flooded the first floor.

Move in, though nears. The new chest and nightstand are all stained and ready for finish.

First eye cataract op successful yesterday.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since the last post, I got one cataract (right eye) fixed. Post-op twitch in O2 saturation caused poking around to find a pulmonary embolism. A small one was found (fortunately doing no damage). That's postponed the left cataract op. The OR nurse was sharp, because levels ever since have been normal, and only that one transitory incident occurred.

After delays, the chest and nightstand are in place, and I've started installing the drawer knobs.

The dead Neato robovac has been replaced by a top-line Samsung, caught on Big Sale. One of the plusses of being sidelined has been that I can watch for sales, and it's paid off...the Samsung cost only a few bucks more than the entry-level Neato did.

I wanted a 40" HD TV for the bedroom; Newegg seduced me with a 50" UHD HDR on sale for $9 more than the 40".

The house is nearing habitability (CO approved) - one major item remains, that being the Heat Recovery Unit for the water heater isn't working right.

One new issue has emerged: Nelson and Chester finally figured out they don't have to move when I need to use the aisle. They used to get out of the way; no more.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I think Nelson and Chester have figured out you're a visitor and it's time for you to leave. ROTFLMAO

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The heat recovery unit is still down; the HVAC guys are working Michael damage on the FL west coast.

Doctors have been messing with Rxs, and I'm kind of the "Side-effects King". Nothing major, but 4 MDs each has his/her own protocol. What was most irritating is that none of the meds were for major issues...Put my foot down, making everyone clear with my PCP. That worked fine, and I'm able to be more active as the side effects subside.

I had planned to e in the house this past week, but, somewhere I heard, "It's always SOMETHING!" Bought a new set of hole saws from Harbor Freight. Ready to drill, no mandrel...For a pilot hole through an exterior wall, I tried jobber drill saved from the flood. The tips were rusted, and wouldn't do anything.

Next week for moving in looks realistic, so I've been stocking the house with the lost supplies. Amazing the amount of piddly little things that needed replacement. I'm really looking forward to being able to cook real meals!

Today is the 14 month anniversary...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I mentioned I was the Side-effects King, one of which was fluid buildup in my abdomen. The volume affected my breathing and flexibility.

In a fit of luck, the hospital scheduled 2 minor procedures for today (instead of over 2 days), one of which was draining the fluid.

I had 2.5 liters in the "pool". One PA had 3L, the doc had 4L.

Total was 8.5L. That's over 2 gallons and 17 lbs.! No wonder I felt sluggish!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke