Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hurricane Irma
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Rusty, sorry to hear about all the damage you had.
Barb & I stayed for Irma, took all the preparations in the house and outside. We heard three transformers blow and then we lost power for 11 days.
Upon checking our house, had no damage however my neighbor had five trees go down in his back yard, four fell against one tree which keep them from crashing onto my garage roof, the other tree feel and hit his back yard neighbors house and filled his whole back yard. His trees took down all the power lines.
My neighbor on the other side had a large tree branch (which hung over our power lines and porch roof) snapped off and somehow, by the grace of God, the wind caught it and it crashed down on the privacy fence and bounced back into her yard.

We almost had water come into the porch (with-in a quarter of an inch) as the entire yard flooded as well as the street and several surrounding streets.

MY generator for some reason seized up and I always kept it serviced.

Barb & I were wishing we had our Barth back to stay in.

Glad all are ok and that is what is important.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Jim & Barb: Glad You are OK. We had to evacuate. I was just released from Cape Coral Hospital so we were driven to my son's home in The Villages..........Betty & Carl

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My 'new to us' '74 Class C rode out Irma in a driveway in Punta Gorda, not far from Port Charlotte. It was near highway 17, north of Punta Gorda just down from the huge Walmart distribution center. No wind damage, no water damage, and didn't even lose power. Go figure. I guess God figured that Punta Gorda had enough damage for one life time. (Hurricane Charley) Although that one did a lot of damage to Port Charlotte as well.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The remediation worker started yesterday, and have made very good progress.

It still looks like several weeks before the place is again habitable.

The dogs and I are Barthing in a gracious neighbor's yard (our only conflict has been that he's a Yankees fan, while I'm for the Dodgers.

I keep losing ground on the Barth...it will probably take weeks to get roadworthy when I get it back home.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
So sorry, Rusty. I know how much you like to be 'on the road'. Hopefully that will be sooner than you expect.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Today, a minor triumph; I finally located the water leak (easy to see, once the cabinet was apart). Naturally, I don't have the needed part to plug the line. The leak was - once again - at the filtered water line. Just going to plug it until I can relocate the filter to take the strain off the POS fittings.

The remediation folks are doing a great job. I may be back in the house before year's end.

I've picked out a replacement for the totaled van, an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD (oddly enough at the same dealer where I bought the Sienna and the van), but it's an SUV. It's been in the shop for a very minor repair (replacing the the ignition switch) for two weeks. The dealer finally got fed up and it's at another shop.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Sounds encouraging, Rusty.
Hang in there. Hope to see you in a few weeks

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX. Best car I have ever had. Your Escalade should be a better car, you have made a great choice, parts are costly though.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I really loved that van for the space and every trinket it had; the Ford 1T it replaced was a minimal conversion, upgraded seats, and that was all. The Escalade is 1st choice due to towing capacity and the ridiculous local prices of conversion vans. The boys will just have to adjust to the Cadillac's tighter space, and adapt to impersonating toy poodles...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My collie is getting a bit aged so I made and carpeted a ramp for him to go up, I also use it for the Barth.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Remediation on the house stalled because the supervisor was inept, so I had him replaced. The new one is getting things done; in 2 days he got the electrical inspection that the former sup neglected for 3 weeks, a 20 minute job.. Power's back on, so the A/C contractor will be replacing the HVAC system.

One positive is that some termite infestation was discovered, so I had the place treated while it was stripped..

I had been moving the coach down to the fence line to dump tanks on my property (OdorLos is an excellent treatment, BTW), but the Barth made ruts in the pasture, so I bought a macerator pump with a 100' hose I had on hand, and it does a great job.

Since the Barth isn't roadworthy (Irma caught me in the midst of repair and maintenance), I got an adapter for using 20# propane tanks to run the stove, furnace, and water heater...the main tank is almost out.

All-in-all, the problems with the house and the coach have been overcome, at least for the moment.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Smiler

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
Glad to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Smiler
And it's not another train. Best wishes Rusty.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The adapter hose I got didn't work (wrong connector), so I replaced the tee (which allows use of the RV's LPG tank for gas grills, etc.). Naturally, the new tee was slightly longer but there was enough play in the line to install it. Now I'm hooked up on 20# bottles.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
StaRV II, the boys, and I are home! I moved the coach to its RV pad today, now that we have power and the well pump controller has been replaced. Tomorrow, I'll take a well sample to the health department to see if the flooding contaminated it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke