Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hurricane Irma
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Hopefully, our FL denizens (Deb&Ed and DannyZ, you OK?)have either evacuated or locked down. Here in the central part of the state, I've finished preps for sheltering in place. The generator's rolled out and the Barth is ready to move up the driveway tomorrow, to get it away from the tree line, and expecting the river to flood the RV pad Tuesday. The truck and minivan go up Monday, as one leg of the driveway is low.

If the water gets into the house, it'll be the residence for Nelson, Chester and me for awhile.

Today we've had a couple of showers, unrelated to Irma, but I'd rather not see the drainage reserve wasted on local rains.

It looks like the west coast will take a beating, with really bad storm surge. However, in my experience, both the NWS and The Weather Channel tend to exaggerate potential effects. I hope that's the case with Irma.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Deb and I are all locked down. Been working this week installing plywood shutters and have all the toys under the house. The trawler has so many line on it, it will take week to untie it. The Monarch is being used as a wind break at the street side of the house.
We we're hoping the storm would shift west like it did but fear bad for our neighbors on the cost.

Danny
Looks like it's coming your way so be carefull and let us know how you are

Rusty

Same for you. We will have stories to tell at the
December GTG

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
OMG confusion confusion confusion
Hang in there everyone. Please be careful and be safe. Sorry

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
As I said above, the Euro is parked across the front of the house, the house is boarded up, and we're going across the street to our friends house, which is newer and has good steel shutters. Gonna be a long night. Ed, I'll call as soon as I can after.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Ok take care

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world

Here in Nova Scotia our cable has many of the US and CDN
networks and the only showing IRMA and friends is the CBC and our weather channel...

All the US channels don't seem to care about Florida and the Caribbean situation
being more oriented to sports than the sufferings of their fellow citizens...

https://www.theweathernetwork....-florida-cuba/85844/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Must be licensing agreements. CNN (for one) is staying current, as are the websites of ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, etc. We also have The Weather Channel, which amongst a smattering of actual weather info, features mostly performance art by its forecasters. It also requires enduring commercials before viewing a video (the labels on most are misleading).

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has some marginally useful info, its personnel need math lessons. While is portrays Irma as a tropical storm when it reaches here, it shows it her in 9 hours - 300 miles at 12 mph...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For Deb&Ed:

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-m...a-hurricane-irma.jpg

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Quote: We also have The Weather Channel,

Our weather channel is all Canadian...
(and I've seen yours)
and I think ours is better Wink

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Fellow glassnose, hope all is well with you and yours...let us hear from you when power is restored...Bless!

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
We have lots of Floridians, bless all of you guys!!

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I've been holding my breath for days thinking about all the poeple in Florida. At least now the storm is gone, time for the rude "morning after." confusion

God bless you all and I hope things work out and clean up OK.
For once I am glad to be way north.

Ten years ago a tornado tore the roof off my hanger and totalled several planes, including mine. No hurricane for sure but it shows on a smaller scale how Mother Nature can present bad surprises... wack

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Finally got some phone service. Power was restored last night and we are cleaning up the mess. We were lucky. When the eye wall went over us it was blowing about 130 +. Had some minor damage but all repairable and no injuries. We have great neighbors and everyone is helping and sharing what's left. We stayed in the Monarch after the power went out and just moved back into the house today. Hope Danny, Rusty and the rest of our Florida Barth friends it through ok.
Hope to see some of you folks at Dec. GTG.

Life is good

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
So good to hear you are OK. What a time that must have been! confusion

Be well, see you in Dec.

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Steve
I forgot to add this. Meadowlark took a real hit. Lots of damage and they won't let anyone into the park. Trailers damaged, power lines down and a lot of trees.