Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hurricane Irma
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, long voyage home.
My experience with wells that have not been in use for a time, it would be good to postpone the inspection for a day or so, add a cup of bleach let it sit for 3 to 4 hours then pump hard for an hour, sit for an hour or two, repeat pumping several times. Contamination may only be due to inactivity and yours has had plenty of inactive time for flora to fauna.
Best wishes, stay dry when proper, relieve dryness when time to celebrate.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Good news. Are you back in your house yet, Rusty?

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The house is still mostly uninhabitable, but the remediation is done. The upstairs is intact, so I can watch the three final football games on the big TV.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Happy day! The well passed the health department's tests, so I can quit depending on bottled water.

Progress on the house is picking up. OA for the HVAC is in place, plumbers have done preliminary work, and insulation installers are awaiting permits.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since my washer and dryer were destroyed, I shopped the Presidents' Day sales, and ended up at Lowes, where the discounts, included $340 off the washer/dryer's $1,598; $150 combo rebate; and another 10% for the military discount, so it was a good day.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
This might be your lucky year. Good to hear you got a nice buy.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks - can't replace too much more, not having places to put stuff.

Some things were worth jumping on PrezDay prices.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have plenty of room to put stuff - but upstairs, where I'd have to lug it up, then down when the rooms are ready.

Anyway, DirecTV was out today and hooked the Barth up to the house's satellite dish, so I have TV. I was getting broadcast, but as the trees started sprouting leaves, the signasl through the woods got worse and worse.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The insulation guys were out yesterday. Did a nice, quick job. Except, instead of insulating that inside workshop wall, they did a closet wall, and installed tha vapor barrier inside on about 3' around the breaker panel.

Meanwhile, I've been accumulating replacement stuff:

• A deal on 12 tee shirts
• 2 hoodies
• 2 replacement LED rechargeable flashlights
• 2 sets of bed linens
• 4 sets towels
• 3 night/emergency lights
All of the above from Woot.com, a division of Amazon, which is like an online outlet mall - good quality, lo prices.

From Home Depot:
• 2 Ryobi Li batteries and charger
• Also Ryobi, 2 more Li batteries and charger, drill, light impact wrench, recip saw, circular saw, multitool, and light
I avoid doing biz with HD anymore, but already had a lot of Ryobi tools that survived Irma

I hope to revive some of the Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee, and DeWalt corded tools.

From Lowe's:
• Greenworks electric 2000 psi pressure washer and whirlybird
• Tried to buy an air compressor, but I got sass from the Tools Manager when I rejected a damaged unit, and couldn't be inconvenienced to get a replacement unpacked from its pallet
• The washer and dryer are due to be delivered here 3/26

From Harbor Freight:
• 2,5 HP, 21 GAL, 125 PSI oiled air compressor

From Sam's Club:
• 9,000/12,000 electric start generator; this sale would have gone to Lowes, but the Tools Manager convinced me to go elsewhere (although he doesn't know that).

At the Gun Wizard:
• Marlin .44 Magnum carbine for refurb and reblue

Getting warmed up for this shopping thingy...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty, sounds like almost a full and beyond recovery! I certainly can relate to BAD sales assistants. Maybe we can cross paths this summer.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Shopping can be fun, or a pain the bottom!!

Sure has been awhile, hard to believe all that needed to be done. Is it your whole neighborhood or did your place receive the brunt of the storm?

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2058 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Having upgraded the wind resistance on my house, I had no wind damage, only flood. Five homes, including mine, were flooded; sadly, I was the only one with flood insurance. Probably worst was my next door neighbor who had just completely redone her house. The new drywall and hardwood flooring are toast.

• Stinky Daddy (Bill Mitchell) is also printing up 25 generic Barth pocket tees to replace the shirts discarded stupidly by the first supervisor (of the restoration company). Some of the shirts thrown away go back to '04 star parties and the early Barth GTGs.

That same supervisor also dismounted and threw away a perfectly good, undamaged, ceiling fan. So far, chargebacks to the company are nearing $1,000, all due to the negligence of the first supe. The one I have now is excellent.

• Headed to the Ocala Gun Show Saturday, to try to replace the pistol washed away in the flood, and to replace my shotgun and .22.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One step at a time...I found a "Baby Eagle", made by Israeli Weapons Industries, maker of the Desert Eagle (.50 semiauto) chambered for the .40 S&W (also available in 9mm, 10mm, and .45ACP). Unlike most contemporary builds, this one has a hammer...I don't like hammerless, as I want to see what's going on. 9mm Sigs and Glocks were quite cheap, a surprise.

OT: With spring approaching, so does scurvy season. Fortunately, my triple sec stash is on the second floor, and undamaged...started spring training last Friday.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've been ordering a lot of replacement stuff on line. I generally expect to get it in 5-7 days.

Last Saturday night, I ordered 2 - ¼" 45° brass street ells and a generator cover (the generator's due here Wednesday). I'm not a Prime member, nor did I request fast shipping, but Amazon put the order on "LaserShip". The box with all items was on my doorstep this morning... Superman

The street ells? I find it strange that compressor builders make it necessary to crouch down to see the gauges. The street ells will tilt them where I can see 'em.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Found a 12 ga auto, a Winchester with a screwin choke.

And the generator arrived yesterday - after telling the dispatcher Monday there was room here for nothing larger than a 28' straight truck, the driver called on the road here - with a semi and 46' trailer. I described the access here, but he said he'd do a driveby. Then, an hour after he was due, there was a knock on the door - the driver, with the 200+ lb. genset on a hand truck he had humped down a couple of hundred yards of driveway!.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke