Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    From out of the past......
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

From out of the past......
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
I'm fully aware that drooling over an SOB on this site is punishable by 30 days in the electric chair, but a 1978 GMC Birchaven with
4000 ORIGINAL miles (142 mi/yr!) is worth a look.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-GMC-BIRCHAVEN-23-VI...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Looks exactly like the one I had, but mine had a rear bath, not rear bedroom. Same colors, too, but my upholstery pattern was more conservative.

It was a well-built unit, but I didn't like the handling. It was a tail-wagger, & dicey on interstate truck ruts. You had to maintain a twitchy balance along the edge of the rut, or it would throw you side-to-side.

There's an active GMC technical forum, & historically a lot of discussion about tail-wagging. My theory is that some of it results from the single rear wheels, & some from flexibility in the leading/trailing arms of the rear suspension.

I had another rig with single tires on the rear that was worse yet until I installed a panhard rod (track Bar) to eliminate lateral movement of the rear axle.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Low miles on them but the tires are 28 years old......first stop, the tire shop.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post